The Student Room Group

EPQ - Gravity

Hi guys,

Thinking about doing and EPQ on theories of gravity (Newton, Einstein etc) but obviously it would have to be a dissertation unit (edexcel board) and I'm not sure about how I would phrase it as a question.

Any ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by FMHL
Hi guys,

Thinking about doing and EPQ on theories of gravity (Newton, Einstein etc) but obviously it would have to be a dissertation unit (edexcel board) and I'm not sure about how I would phrase it as a question.

Any ideas?

*an
What are your career plans?
Reply 3
Not entirely sure, certainly a physics degree.
Thoughts on afterwards?
IMO should try to find something concrete to discuss otherwise it might be too descriptive.

e.g. in recent events we've had a close flyby of pluto by the new horizons probe... how would the estimated time of closest approach differ when calculated using newtonian vs relativistic gravity?
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
IMO should try to find something concrete to discuss otherwise it might be too descriptive.

e.g. in recent events we've had a close flyby of pluto by the new horizons probe... how would the estimated time of closest approach differ when calculated using newtonian vs relativistic gravity?

Thank you this is the kind of response I was after! Any other ideas of application like this would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by FMHL
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Could perhaps talk about black holes and explain mathematical derivations of both newtonian gravitational physics (and assumptions made) and Einstein's theory of general relativity to explain the Schwarzschild radius...given you are intrigued by astrophysics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, perhaps "What future changes to gravitational theory can we expect?" and with that you can outline the change of Newton to Einstein, light, black holes etc. and then future problems like dark matter, voyager probes accelerating towards sun and so on.
Reply 9
Original post by LibertyMan
Hmm, perhaps "What future changes to gravitational theory can we expect?" and with that you can outline the change of Newton to Einstein, light, black holes etc. and then future problems like dark matter, voyager probes accelerating towards sun and so on.

Thank you, I like this idea!
Reply 10
Original post by FMHL
Thank you, I like this idea!

I dont know if you have heard of the LISA mission, they are placing a detector in space measuring the relative length change in the arms of a detector they are placing in space (using lasers). This is called Laser Interferometry.
You could phrase a question on what are the relative advantages/disadvantages to using a gravitational wave detector as opposed to a regular light telescope or possibly, given the fact the field is quite new, "How will Gravitational Wave Detection shape our knowledge of the universe?" or something along those lines.
The field is quite exciting, hope this helped:smile:
For more information check out: https://www.youtube.com/user/LISAcommunity/videos
Reply 11
The search for gravitational waves- what we know, what we don't know, what we are doing to find out.
Reply 12
I'd second something like gravitational waves - your difficulty is in finding something simple enough you can understand it with AS-level physics but which you can also evaluate. You don't want to write a history of the theory of gravity - you need to show evaluation.
There's something called the Pioneer Anomaly (which I find fascinating) which might be a good start for something evaluative...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

Quick Reply

Latest