The Student Room Group

STEP, MAT and AEA

Before i begin,achieved A* in GCSE and A A in maths and further maths AS so far.

I really want to do a Maths Degree at Uni and whats stopping me are these types of maths entry exams. I feel as though you have to be a Genius to actually get a good grade in these exams.

I find that A levels have very linear straight forwarded and recycled questions but some of these questions on STEP for example are practically impossible.

Can anyone advice me on how to try to improve on these exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by AmateurMathsGeek
Before i begin,achieved A* in GCSE and A A in maths and further maths AS so far.

I really want to do a Maths Degree at Uni and whats stopping me are these types of maths entry exams. I feel as though you have to be a Genius to actually get a good grade in these exams.

I find that A levels have very linear straight forwarded and recycled questions but some of these questions on STEP for example are practically impossible.

Can anyone advice me on how to try to improve on these exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

STEP is, like A Level, all about practice. I have either done, partly done, or at least looked at almost every single question from STEP I and STEP II since around 1990. All this to scrape a 1 in STEP I. The amount of work you will require will depend on your level of talent. But no matter how naturally able you are, the answer is practice, and I think having got AA at AS you are certain to be able to achieve well in STEP. (I anyway)
As for MAT, the same applies in that practice is important but this is a lot easier than the other two. If the MAT style is as unpleasant for you as the STEP style then maybe try and avoid those unis that ask for it.
Not to sound like a broken record but AEA is about, yep, practice. You want to be quite versatile as there is no freedom of choice; often on an AEA paper many questions will be quite accessible but there will be a couple of killers. I don't know if AEA is still going next year anyhow.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
STEP is, like A Level, all about practice. I have either done, partly done, or at least looked at almost every single question from STEP I and STEP II since around 1990. All this to scrape a 1 in STEP I. The amount of work you will require will depend on your level of talent. But no matter how naturally able you are, the answer is practice, and I think having got AA at AS you are certain to be able to achieve well in STEP. (I anyway)
As for MAT, the same applies in that practice is important but this is a lot easier than the other two. If the MAT style is as unpleasant for you as the STEP style then maybe try and avoid those unis that ask for it.
Not to sound like a broken record but AEA is about, yep, practice. You want to be quite versatile as there is no freedom of choice; often on an AEA paper many questions will be quite accessible but there will be a couple of killers. I don't know if AEA is still going next year anyhow.

Thank you very much for replying.
I WILL start practising as soon as possible.

But like you said it relies on talent and i don't think I'm really capable of such an exam but i will try my best regardless.

Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The MAT is the easiest, although I did only ever look at one paper. Really, as long as you get used to the question style, you should be fine with it.
Speaking as someone who failed AEA, and got a one two and three in STEP, I can confidently say that AEA is much easier than STEP. (It helps if you look at AEA in advance, rather than the night before because you are celebrating the end of your "proper" exams.) Really, if you put the effort in, AEA should be fine.
STEP, on the other hand, is a b***h.Putting work in does help, but even then that is not always enough, since you need a little luck so that you get questions which suit your style.
Good Luck
Original post by Cathers249
The MAT is the easiest, although I did only ever look at one paper. Really, as long as you get used to the question style, you should be fine with it.
Speaking as someone who failed AEA, and got a one two and three in STEP, I can confidently say that AEA is much easier than STEP. (It helps if you look at AEA in advance, rather than the night before because you are celebrating the end of your "proper" exams.) Really, if you put the effort in, AEA should be fine.
STEP, on the other hand, is a b***h.Putting work in does help, but even then that is not always enough, since you need a little luck so that you get questions which suit your style.
Good Luck

Thank You for taking your time to help me. I hope to heed your advice and try learn from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AmateurMathsGeek
Thank you very much for replying.
I WILL start practising as soon as possible.

But like you said it relies on talent and i don't think I'm really capable of such an exam but i will try my best regardless.

Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :smile: It's not that capacity to do well relies on talent. You just need to be pretty mathematically competent as is evident from your AS grades. It's just that the more talent you have, the less hard you have to work. I don't have any talent but I just practiced my way to a good grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending