The Student Room Group

Why is studying suddenly so hard?

I'm in my final year of college. I have multiple assignments and exams coming up. I haven't started revising and I'm behind on my assignments. I'm finding it impossible to get anything done. I'll put a show on and get distracted. I'll put music on and get distracted. I'll sit in silence... and get distracted. I don't know what to do. I used to be really good at getting stuff done. I had really good self-discipline. So, why am I finding it so hard now? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there something I could be doing instead?
Don't overthink, just do. Physically distance yourself from your distractions if you must.
On the revision front, 'starting' is the hardest part. You just have to begin, literally anywhere in the course. The more you have revised and the more you have recapped, the easier it is to keep going.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ahsaniqbal5277
Firstly you have to ignore the distractions. Once you are into study then your brain will be signalling you to do this and that rather than doing what has the results at the end. So, chill and let the distractions go. And if you want someone to write assignments on your behalf then your load can be divided more. Do share your stuff so that this conversation becomes helpful for you

You're an academic cheat. Anyone who follows your advice will hopefully get expelled.
Original post by ahsaniqbal5277
I am not an academic cheat. I am just being realistic for the time being. The main objective of a task or an assignment is to learn the things and when somebody is stressed out or under pressure then where is the learning part. If he/she by no means completes the assignment then I am pretty sure there will be less than 10% learning as it is created in a stressed condition. And in the other scenario to get help from someone who has expertise will not only calm the ongoing situation but also give time to think and restart the things and reset where tragedy happened. So, I might be seeming wrong, but realistically I'll be okay with what i suggested.

Is that so??? In which case, why do you explicitly advertise an essay mill in the thread below???

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7453743
this is natural, its just draining and demotivating to revise once you had already done so much of it in the past. Just try to disciplin yourself and be distant from your phone, even restrict apps if you have to. Maybe podcasts or another strategie may help
Original post by Rae5083
I'm in my final year of college. I have multiple assignments and exams coming up. I haven't started revising and I'm behind on my assignments. I'm finding it impossible to get anything done. I'll put a show on and get distracted. I'll put music on and get distracted. I'll sit in silence... and get distracted. I don't know what to do. I used to be really good at getting stuff done. I had really good self-discipline. So, why am I finding it so hard now? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there something I could be doing instead?

you're overthinking it and it's harder than it sounds to just stop doing that, i know. but if you can start the work without making it a grand gesture, maybe that could help? instead of forcing yourself to sit down in the perfect revision environment try to shift what you're doing slowly, like you don't even realise you're revising until there's paper in front of you and your resources have replaced the show. that's what works for me when i'm really struggling, it's kinda like a weird mind game.
Original post by Rae5083

hey!! one thing that really helps me is putting away my laptop and phone so i am in a room with lined paper and exam questions/my textbook - normally i use flashcards on my laptop but sometimes i just cannot stop getting distracted no matter what and then i just do something on plain paper - idk why but it absolutely works for me just to get me going again!! good luck!! :smile:)
Original post by username6882602

I've found that it's the pressure of succeeding and all of my work going into that final grade, that probably has something to do with it.

Hi there,

What would help me is getting a plan together. Starting to revise is the hardest step to revising, I have felt this too, therefore, what I would do is spend a day I would be revising to get a plan together. What am I going to do on what days, when on those days and why, is that effective. Giving yourself that time to really build a solid plan will help you with feeling less stressed about actually starting when the time comes.

Revision should be effective and meaningful, try and block out short chunks of time where you can sit down and do 15-30 minutes on something you're unsure on. The shortness in time will mean you still have time to relax and wind down but also you can feel a sense of fulfillment you've done something meaningful with your learning.

My bedroom walls were absolutely covered with posters and folders of revision cards after applying the above for a couple of weeks. It can be done, it takes discipline which can be difficult but physically getting yourself started and not overthinking it will help.

Maybe consider studying with someone you know? You could also try doing what I did and that was finding a family member to talk at about the work I'm doing! Teaching someone else greatly boosts your own recall and understanding.

Hopefully, some of these pointers help and good luck with your studies!

Ethan

Hey there 😀

You might be struggling with motivation and a solid plan that would ensure timely revision while still allowing for breaks. I have faced this situation many times, and I have devised a strategy to overcome it.

In my case, often, motivation weakens because I am unsure where to begin, how to start, what tasks to tackle, and how much time they will consume. Therefore, I have introduced a study and revision routine to my life.

Creating a feasible schedule has been pivotal in my exam success, significantly reducing stress associated with the fear of failure and meeting deadlines. In my opinion, setting achievable goals is the key to avoiding overwhelming discouragement from overestimating one's capabilities.

So how do I do that? The first crucial step in my exam preparation involves crafting a schedule that keeps me on course andaccommodates long enough breaks and unexpected delays. To start, I immerse myself in familiarising with the exam content.

Once I have pinpointed the topics to cover, I organise them into manageable chunks, allocating weeks or days based on the exam's scope and my available time. It is essential to ensure your plan includes ample breaks and leisure time, so you do not feel overwhelmed.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending