The Student Room Group

i really need help !!On chmeistry formula mass

I really don't understand how to calculate reacting masses...:frown: I tried but I keep getting it wrong . I looked at YouTube , books but just don't get it. Well I did at first but then I forget. Please help .I like it simple .I suck at the math bit at chemistry, my brain doesn't want to understand -_-for some reason.

What mass of hydrogen is formed when 2g of calcium reacts with hydrochloric acid?
Ca+2HCI->CAci2+H2
which I got 0.1g which im sure its wrong. I want someone to explain it simply.

what mass of carbon dioxide is made when 22g of propane is burned in oxygen?

C3+2HCI->3C02+4H2O
which I got 66g somehow 0.0 plz help
Original post by DaraPark
I really don't understand how to calculate reacting masses...:frown: I tried but I keep getting it wrong . I looked at YouTube , books but just don't get it. Well I did at first but then I forget. Please help .I like it simple .I suck at the math bit at chemistry, my brain doesn't want to understand -_-for some reason.

What mass of hydrogen is formed when 2g of calcium reacts with hydrochloric acid?
Ca+2HCI->CAci2+H2
which I got 0.1g which im sure its wrong. I want someone to explain it simply.

what mass of carbon dioxide is made when 22g of propane is burned in oxygen?

C3+2HCI->3C02+4H2O
which I got 66g somehow 0.0 plz help

0.1g is the correct answer to first question. If you think about it practically, it makes sense that a much smaller mass of hydrogen is formed in a reaction like this.

You also got the answer to the second question right which I think is bizarre as the chemical equation you've posted on here is completely wrong so I assume you must have been using a different one.

You know what you're doing :smile: have a little faith
Reply 2
Original post by smartalan73
0.1g is the correct answer to first question. If you think about it practically, it makes sense that a much smaller mass of hydrogen is formed in a reaction like this.

You also got the answer to the second question right which I think is bizarre as the chemical equation you've posted on here is completely wrong so I assume you must have been using a different one.

You know what you're doing :smile: have a little faith

thank you :smile: sorry about the second question its C3H8+5O2->3CO2+4H2O
and I got 66g . but can you tell me how you do it ? because I do it the most completed way even sometime I get lost:frown:
don't you like work out the moles of the one you have most info on, then work out the molar ratio thus the moles of the unknown thus the mass as mass= n of moles x molar mass.
Original post by DaraPark
thank you :smile: sorry about the second question its C3H8+5O2->3CO2+4H2O
and I got 66g . but can you tell me how you do it ? because I do it the most completed way even sometime I get lost:frown:

my teacher always taught us to remember the formula triangle 'Gee, Mr mole'
g
---------
Mr | moles
where g is the mass in grams, Mr is the relative molecular mass, and moles is the number of moles. All you have to do is plug the numbers you have into the formula. so for the second question you 22/44 (g/Mr) to got 0.5 moles. you then look at the mole ratio in the equation and see that the ratio of propane to carbon dioxide is 1:3 so its 0.5:1.5. you then use the formula in reverse and do 1.5x44 (this is the Mr for CO2, the fact that its the same as C3H8 makes it slightly more confusing to understand in this example). so the answer is 66g

Quick Reply

Latest