The Student Room Group

Specific Heat Capacity 1

So I’m new to this but I have a question on Specific Heat Capacity topic 1 in Physics. I’m taking GCSE’s if that helps.

The question: rearrange to make C the subject.

The equation is Change in Thermal Energy (J) = mass (Kg) x specific heat capacity (J/KgC) x change in temperature (C)
Original post by ChrisMarcus
So I’m new to this but I have a question on Specific Heat Capacity topic 1 in Physics. I’m taking GCSE’s if that helps.

The question: rearrange to make C the subject.

The equation is Change in Thermal Energy (J) = mass (Kg) x specific heat capacity (J/KgC) x change in temperature (C)

In algebraic notation, that equation can be written as Q = mcΔθ (where Q is the change in thermal energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity and Δθ is the temperature rise).

Because the right hand side of the equation is c times m times Δθ, what can you do to both sides of the equation so that the only thing on the right hand side is the c?

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
If I get confused when re arranging an equation, I sometimes use an "equation triangle" to make it clearer for me. An example of one below:

Of course, you are going to need to make one specifically for the specific heat capacity formula but one you are able to do this, it makes re arranging formulas much easier, considering you know how to use one afterwards. Feel free to reply to me and I could try to offer more help!

Quick Reply

Latest