The Student Room Group

Radians

a) The diagram shows a circle with centre O and radius r, and a chord AB which subtends an angle θ radians at O. Express the area of the shaded segment bounded by the chord AB in terms of r and θ.

I managed this fine:
Area of shaded segment = r^2/2 (θ-sinθ)

b) Given that the area of this segment id one-third of the area of the triange OAB, show that - 4sinθ=0.

No matter how many times and how many different ways i try, i cannot get to that. i always land up with - 4sinθ = 0.

c) Find the positive value of θ satisfying 3θ - 4sinθ to within 0.1 radians, by tabulating values of - 4 sinθ and looking for a sign change, or otherwise.

Can't figure this out either....
Thanks for any help!!!!
Original post by Jmun
a) The diagram shows a circle with centre O and radius r, and a chord AB which subtends an angle θ radians at O. Express the area of the shaded segment bounded by the chord AB in terms of r and θ.

I managed this fine:

b) Given that the area of this segment id one-third of the area of the triange OAB, show that - 4sinθ=0.

No matter how many times and how many different ways i try, i cannot get to that. i always land up with - 4sinθ = 0.

c) Find the positive value of θ satisfying 3θ - 4sinθ to within 0.1 radians, by tabulating values of - 4 sinθ and looking for a sign change, or otherwise.

Thanks for any help!!!!

For part b), it looks like you've got what they want.

It looks like trial and error for part c).
Reply 2
Sorry, error - i meant, i always get to - 4sinθ
Original post by Jmun

I managed this fine:

Thanks for any help!!!!

So you did part a) by saying the area of the sector is 1/2 r^2 θ and the area of the triangle is 1/2 r^2 sin(θ), and then subtracting those gives you the area of the segment = 1/2 r^2(θ-Sin{θ})

For part b), you're told that this is one third the area of the triangle. In other words:

3 x Segment = Triangle

3x 1/2 r^2(θ-Sin{θ}) = 1/2 r^2 Sinθ

Expand these and collect to the left, you get the answer :smile:

And part c) is just trial and error
Reply 4
Awesome this is a great help. lol so obvious... Thanks a bunch!!!

Quick Reply

Latest