The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

^^^ not that one again!!

i joined tsr about 18 months ago, and the first year was arguing that this wasnt the case. after winning arguments and slowly beating people down, a new wave of 17-18 year old ucas applicants start it all up again. it's madness what these schools are teaching their students. we had a post not so long back because a guy was distraught that he was given a place at imperial not cambridge! aaaaargh!!
no worries about the back up :smile: what little time i spend on tsr now is usually spent avoiding these issues.
Oh don't Boosh - my school even now when I'm 6months off finishing my course still look down their noses at me for studying where I am.

:mad:
bunch of ****ers

if you went to a ****ty state school in the north east like me, then simply studying for a degree, regardless of location, is seen as something pretty special.
The Boosh
bunch of ****ers

if you went to a ****ty state school in the north east like me, then simply studying for a degree, regardless of location, is seen as something pretty special.

exactly - my old school tries year on year to get someone into Oxbridge but I don't think they've succeeded yet. Lack of interview practice etc might be one reason :rolleyes:
could be. i remember a common trend when i worked in a bar in torquay - i met 4 or 5 girls who got into oxford or cambridge but turned them away because they didnt like the interviewer and attitudes of people they came across. i think they were also attracted to bigger, vibrant cities, so they all ended at london, bristol etc. perhaps if you try too hard to fit in you miss the point? dunno - i've never applied.
Reply 786
Stickyvix
exactly - my old school tries year on year to get someone into Oxbridge but I don't think they've succeeded yet. Lack of interview practice etc might be one reason :rolleyes:

That's something which always strikes me as very odd: why on earth is the success of UK schools so frequently measured (or at least talked about in the media) in terms of how many people they manage to "get into" Oxford or Cambridge? Even the schools themselves seem to perceive it that way.:rolleyes:
it's our silly hierarchies - we divide the nation into types and then order them according to which type of person is better than the others. britain - or perhaps england specifically - is crazy for class divisions. the general university chat section on tsr shows our mentally.
Reply 788
The Boosh
it's our silly hierarchies - we divide the nation into types and then order them according to which type of person is better than the others. britain - or perhaps england specifically - is crazy for class divisions. the general university chat section on tsr shows our mentally.

Indeed.:rolleyes: What's slightly ironic is that even those who claim to be opposed to those divisions (for papers, the most obvious example would be the Guardian) often don't even seem to be aware of the fact that they're actually doing what they can to reinforce them. Oh well.
the guardian is a dodgy paper. it presents as a broad sheet, whilst reporting on britney spears and her booze sessions.
Even a paper like the Independent, which claims to be so lefty and un-hierarchical, has loads of fillers about how Peterhouse weren't allowed their ball this year after not doing well in finals, or an Oxford student getting rusticated for spying on his neighbours, or how Teddy Hall students aren't allowed any Entz during Trinity term. Who the **** cares?
hahaha now THAT'S news!
Reply 792
the_alba
Even a paper like the Independent, which claims to be so lefty and un-hierarchical, has loads of fillers about how Peterhouse weren't allowed their ball this year after not doing well in finals, or an Oxford student getting rusticated for spying on his neighbours, or how Teddy Hall students aren't allowed any Entz during Trinity term. Who the **** cares?

Yes, it rather seems like Oxbridge serves as a sort of academic Diana for the media, actually. Those stories usually have about the same "news" content as all those "Eyewitness: I saw Diana eat a cucumber sandwich"-stories...:rolleyes:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10343396#post10343396

wow!!! now this shot at the alba has to be the funniest thing i've read on tsr in a while. if any of you fancy replying, please so do with the obligatory laughing smilies. what a muppet.
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - better be aware that I'm about to get my soapbox out :mad:
I thought I'd replied to that thread a while ago, but it was actually this one:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=477157

Do you think we could set up a bot to deal with this sort of thing?
Reply 796
Da Bachtopus

That, or organise a GOG-MOB in which the informed goggers flood the ignorant post in question with the actual truth.
Reply 797
Da Bachtopus

A GOG-bot? Excellent idea.
gog-bot would be superb. the same answers are given each thread anyway.
y'know everytime I'm at my wits end with TSR the GOGSoc restores my faith in common sense:biggrin:

[and it should be called the GOGSocMobBot :ninja: ]

Latest

Trending

Trending