The Student Room Group

Disappointed with getting 2.1

I just today got my final classification for my degree, and while I'm happy I'm finished I am disappointed I came so close to getting a First. I just messed up a module which I know I should have done better on really.

Does this affect my graduate job chances? Should I pursue a Masters as a result of this?
Reply 1
Original post by username6211485
I just today got my final classification for my degree, and while I'm happy I'm finished I am disappointed I came so close to getting a First. I just messed up a module which I know I should have done better on really.

Does this affect my graduate job chances? Should I pursue a Masters as a result of this?

You didn't mention your degree, but I know that 99% of STEM graduate jobs require a minimum of 2:1 (some are okay with 2:2 btw), so there is no need to do Masters just because you think you could have gotten a better score. Your career will not be impacted.
Go for a Masters only if you know what are you going to use that knowledge for - say a research and development facility within an aerospace company requires a candidate to have a minimum of a Masters level degree and this is exactly the type of career you're after. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about a 2:1 - it's a great score already and besides that your success in securing a job will mostly depend on how you perform on the interviews rather than your grade.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by username6211485

Hi,
So sorry you feel this way about a well deserved classification.
Being so close to a higher grade boundary can be extremely frustrating, however, it’s important to remember that a 2:1 is no small feat.
Infact, a 2:1 is considered not just a good but an excellent grade.
I myself received a 2:1 in my undergraduate and now I’m thriving in the first month of my masters.
A masters is without a doubt a challenging experience but given the freedom to tailor more of the work to yourself, it can be a very different experience to your undergraduate. If postgraduate education is something you want to do, there are plenty of courses that would be more than happy to accept you with your current grade.
I hope everything goes well,
Good luck with the future,
Meg :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending