The Student Room Group

Notifying ESA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
:colondollar: You may be aware now (or not; because I've not updated my sig!) that I now moderate here.

Ah congratulations. I'm very happy for you.
Reply 21
Original post by echy
I received my last ESA payment yesterday as in two weeks I will be officially a student. In called yesterday afternoon (I couldn't wait to not be on ESA anymore!!) but got a text just after the call saying I couldn't end my claim any more than 8 days before my course was due to start (uni starts 21st). I didn't want to do it any later So just told them I wasn't bothered about claiming for the extra 3 days or so. They were helpful on the phone and I think you pretty much have up until the day before your course starts to end your claim. Just a word of advice, call at around half 9 in the mornings you get straight through!! Well done for getting into uni with a disability 😊

Why are you ending you claim for ESA????

When you go to uni your ESA just gets reduced. why did the DWP not tell you that on the phone
you need some advicehttp://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-studentsFull-time study
You can continue to claim as a full-time student if you meet certain conditions. For example, if you qualify for a disability premium or receive any part of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)/Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
In higher education, if you’re eligible for a student loan, part of it will be considered as income. It can be complicated to calculate how much benefit you might finally receive, but here is an example.
If you’re a first year student the maximum loan for the 2013/14 year outside of London is £5,500.
The benefit rules allow you £303 a year for travel costs and £390 a year for books and equipment.
The remaining £4,807 is divided over 42 or 43 weeks, depending on the total number of term weeks.
A further £10 a week is disregarded.
The rest counts as income.
So if your term weeks add up to 42, your weekly loan will be £114.
After £10 has been disregarded the remaining £104 will be treated as income.Is it possible to get housing benefit (HB) to help pay for student halls?Most students attending full-time courses are excluded from HB until the course ends. There are some exceptions to this rule. For example you can claim HB if you are disabled or have a serious health condition and you get income-related ESA, income support or qualify for a disability premium. Qualifying benefits for a disability premium include disability living allowance, attendance allowance, severe disablement allowance and long term rate incapacity benefit. This list is not exhaustive.
Reply 22
I emailed disability rights and they sugested sending a copy of my learner agreememt. I am not sure if i have this yet or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slightly off topic; but it is relevant to your ESA claim:
As a full time student on DLA / PIP, you will be entitled to at least the WRAG element of ESA.
Reply 24
So under this, if i got £130 a week ESA, and my income is £104 would i get £26 a week?for 42/43 weeks and then £130 for the remaining 10/9 weeks.

Also would you need to inform them of your income/term dates every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ella2b
So under this, if i got £130 a week ESA, and my income is £104 would i get £26 a week?for 42/43 weeks and then £130 for the remaining 10/9 weeks.

Also would you need to inform them of your income/term dates every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and yes
Slightly off topic but is it normal to not have an assessment for nine months? I started ESA in early January and have been renewing sick notes to maintain my claim. Never had mention of an ATOS assessment. A family member had their assessment after about 10 weeks.
Reply 27
Original post by HardbackWriter
Slightly off topic but is it normal to not have an assessment for nine months? I started ESA in early January and have been renewing sick notes to maintain my claim. Never had mention of an ATOS assessment. A family member had their assessment after about 10 weeks.

It took them over a year to give me an assessment had mine last September and not heard from them since so don't worry plus atos don't even do them anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linnyloo87
It took them over a year to give me an assessment had mine last September and not heard from them since so don't worry plus atos don't even do them anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, thanks for the clarification. I'm assuming after your assessment you had a letter outlining your entitlement to ESA?

It's good that ATOS don't do them anymore but I assume the assessments are still soul crushing? I'm due to start Uni at the end of the month so I'll most likely not renew my medical note. But if my issues prevent me from going I guess I'll be getting medical notes well into the new year.
Reply 29
Original post by linnyloo87

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not go alone.
Reply 30
Oh right, thanks for the clarification. I'm assuming after your assessment you had a letter outlining your entitlement to ESA?

It's good that ATOS don't do them anymore but I assume the assessments are still soul crushing? I'm due to start Uni at the end of the month so I'll most likely not renew my medical note. But if my issues prevent me from going I guess I'll be getting medical notes well into the new year.

Uni is not work , keep sending the medical notes, or your ESA will stop
this website may help you but you have to sign and pay £15 to full access to all the guides
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
Reply 31
Original post by Dan2194
Why are you ending you claim for ESA????

When you go to uni your ESA just gets reduced. why did the DWP not tell you that on the phone
you need some advicehttp://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-studentsFull-time study
You can continue to claim as a full-time student if you meet certain conditions. For example, if you qualify for a disability premium or receive any part of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)/Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
In higher education, if you’re eligible for a student loan, part of it will be considered as income. It can be complicated to calculate how much benefit you might finally receive, but here is an example.
If you’re a first year student the maximum loan for the 2013/14 year outside of London is £5,500.
The benefit rules allow you £303 a year for travel costs and £390 a year for books and equipment.
The remaining £4,807 is divided over 42 or 43 weeks, depending on the total number of term weeks.
A further £10 a week is disregarded.
The rest counts as income.
So if your term weeks add up to 42, your weekly loan will be £114.
After £10 has been disregarded the remaining £104 will be treated as income.Is it possible to get housing benefit (HB) to help pay for student halls?Most students attending full-time courses are excluded from HB until the course ends. There are some exceptions to this rule. For example you can claim HB if you are disabled or have a serious health condition and you get income-related ESA, income support or qualify for a disability premium. Qualifying benefits for a disability premium include disability living allowance, attendance allowance, severe disablement allowance and long term rate incapacity benefit. This list is not exhaustive.

I'm ending it because I'll be a student nurse so the loans are higher than SFE which would more or less bring the ESA down to about £10 a week. The only reason I'd like to stay on it is to claim housing benefit, but if I then declared my partners income (we've just moved in) from his student loan and part time job, it would bring it right down. I also would like to save for a house but don't want to keep that amount of money in cash.
All in all, I just couldn't wait to be off it! haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan2194
Uni is not work , keep sending the medical notes, or your ESA will stop
this website may help you but you have to sign and pay £15 to full access to all the guides
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

I don't think full time students can claim ESA unless they get DLA at the same time, which I don't. That site looks interesting. If I don't go to uni and have to survive an ESA assessment I may just subscribe to that site.
I don't think full time students can claim ESA unless they get DLA at the same time, which I don't. That site looks interesting. If I don't go to uni and have to survive an ESA assessment I may just subscribe to that site.

You have to receive DLA or PIP to claim ESA as a full time student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending