The Student Room Group

Calculating energy Change??????!!!!!!!!!

So I ve been given the following question:

"When an excess of iron fillings are added to 25cm^3 of of 0.2 mol dm^-3 copper (II) sulfate, the temperature rose by 7 degrees (Celcius) Calculate the energy change in joules

Assume:
- the specific heat capacity of water= 4.18 J g^1 K^1

- the density of the solution is 1.0g cm^-3"

How do I work this out. Do I use the formula , E=m x c x change in temperature ?

How can i do so when i haven t been given the mass of water???????????????
1 cm^3 of water = 1g :smile:
^^^. You've got 1cm^3.
You know the equation q=mc(change in T).
I'm pretty certain you've got all the info! It's just a matter of plugging in the values :smile:
Wait no, density does not equate to volume.

Are you sure you need to consider the density? I've never seen a question that uses density in an energy change calculation. If I was to attempt this question I'd use 25cm^3 as the 'mass' because it's not necessarily the mass of water but the mass of solution you need to calculate the energy change.
Reply 4
Original post by mechanism
Wait no, density does not equate to volume.

Are you sure you need to consider the density? I've never seen a question that uses density in an energy change calculation. If I was to attempt this question I'd use 25cm^3 as the 'mass' because it's not necessarily the mass of water but the mass of solution you need to calculate the energy change.

Hmm.. I'm really not sure, but since it was included in the question so i guess it has some significance?

Is it not possible to use density instead of volume?
Original post by 1295084
Hmm.. I'm really not sure, but since it was included in the question so i guess it has some significance?

Is it not possible to use density instead of volume?

I don't actually know, I haven't seen it before. Considering you're given the volume of the solution and the volume hasn't changed, I'd just use the 25cm^3. But i'm not certain.

Quick Reply

Latest