The Student Room Group

Titrations

Why is excess acid used in a titration? Is it to make sure the reaction is complete, or is there more to it than that?
Reply 1
In what titration?

I'm guessing a redox titration.
Original post by KLouise99
Why is excess acid used in a titration? Is it to make sure the reaction is complete, or is there more to it than that?

I don't remember but I think it was to rinse down the funnel to ensure all chemicals were 100%
Reply 3
I think you need to work out what question you're actually asking as the Q you initially asked doesn't make sense.

I'll (and others) will be happy to help when you know what you want.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
I think you need to work out what question you're actually asking as the Q you initially asked doesn't make sense.

I'll (and others) will be happy to help when you know what you want.

Well I've only been taught about one type of titration so I don't know. But that's besides the point because that's the entirety of the question, and I therefore have as much background information as you do, so clearly that knowledge isn't needed in answering the question. My question is quite clear enough, and I know exactly what it is that I'm asking.
Reply 5
if you have only been taught one type, then you must be talking about an acid/alkali titration.

The thing it, the point of such a titration is to find out what volume of acid is required to neutralise a certain volume of alkali (or vice versa, i.e. a known volume of acid).

Assuming you have alkali in the burette (the common way around): the ideal situation is to stop the tap on the burette when you have added one extra drop of acid more than would be required to neutralise the alkali - not exactly what I'd call an excess.

The other possible answer depends a little on your indicator: methyl orange will change colour when the pH drops below 7 - the colour in alkali is the same as when neutral, i.e. an excess of acid must be added to make the indicator change colour, what we call the end-point. The thing is, the difference between the volume required to neutralise the alkali and the end-point will be less than one drop of acid - again not exactly what I'd call an excess.

Quick Reply

Latest