The Student Room Group

chemistry titration

1. An oven cleaner solution contained sodium hydroxide. A 25.0 cm³ sample of the oven cleaner solution was placed in a flask. The sample was titrated with hydrochloric acid containing 73 g/dm² of hydrogen chloride, HCL

(a) Describe how this titration is carried out.

(b) Calculate the concentration of the hydrochloric acid in mol/dm³.

Relative atomic masses: H 1; CI 35.5

Answer =. mol/dm³

(c) 10.0 cm³ of hydrochloric acid were required to neutralise the 25.0 cm³ of oven cleaner solution.

(i) Calculate the number of moles of hydrochloric acid reacting.

Answer =. mol

(ii) Calculate the concentration of sodium hydroxide in the oven cleaner solution in mol/dm³.

Answer=. mol/dm3
Reply 1
Original post by Manjary
1. An oven cleaner solution contained sodium hydroxide. A 25.0 cm³ sample of the oven cleaner solution was placed in a flask. The sample was titrated with hydrochloric acid containing 73 g/dm² of hydrogen chloride, HCL

(a) Describe how this titration is carried out.

(b) Calculate the concentration of the hydrochloric acid in mol/dm³.

Relative atomic masses: H 1; CI 35.5

Answer =. mol/dm³

(c) 10.0 cm³ of hydrochloric acid were required to neutralise the 25.0 cm³ of oven cleaner solution.

(i) Calculate the number of moles of hydrochloric acid reacting.

Answer =. mol

(ii) Calculate the concentration of sodium hydroxide in the oven cleaner solution in mol/dm³.

Answer=. mol/dm3

What are you thinking so far?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
What are you thinking so far?
I found the answers for other questions though I am not sure about the answer of question 1
Reply 3
Original post by Manjary
I found the answers for other questions though I am not sure about the answer of question 1
Part a)? You’d need to include things like which equipment you’re using, which solutions are added to what, indicator used, some words like “dropwise” and maybe “swirling”, how you’d know the endpoint has been reached (think indicator colour change)
Reply 4
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Part a)? You’d need to include things like which equipment you’re using, which solutions are added to what, indicator used, some words like “dropwise” and maybe “swirling”, how you’d know the endpoint has been reached (think indicator colour change)
You mean the steps for the experiment ??
Reply 5
Original post by Manjary
You mean the steps for the experiment ??
Pretty much, but skip the unnecessary details (e.g. all the washings of the burette) and just include the details relevant to the question how the titration is carried out. You might also mention something about concordant titres :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest