The Student Room Group

Hydrogen Electrode - Redox

Hi I am stuck on an exam question and don't quite understand the answer written in the mark scheme. Can someone please explain how to answer this question?

Here is a list of the difficulties in using hydrogen as an electrode. Explain how they are overcome

a) Hydrogen is a gas at room temperature
b) Hydrogen does not conduct electricity
c) The half-cell reaction is slow to reach equilibrium

Many thanks! :biggrin:
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Hi I am stuck on an exam question and don't quite understand the answer written in the mark scheme. Can someone please explain how to answer this question?

Here is a list of the difficulties in using hydrogen as an electrode. Explain how they are overcome

I take it you are referring to the standard hydrogen electrode.

a) So, since hydrogen is a gas at room temperature it has to be bubbled into a H+ solution. Remember that the standard hydrogen electrode uses standard conditions: 298K, 100kPa and [H+] = 1.0 mol dm^-3. The H+ usually comes from 1.0 mol dm^-3 of HCl.

b) Although hydrogen doesn't conduct electricity itself, the hydrogen gas is bubbled over a porous platinum electrode in the H+ solution. The platinum is used to complete the circuit and connect the hydrogen half-cell to another half-cell. Platinum is used as it is inert and so it doesn't react with the solution.

c) As for c I have no idea.

Hope that helps!

c) use of a platinum black catalytic surface ...
Reply 4
Original post by charco
c) use of a platinum black catalytic surface ...

Ah yes, porous platinum is used to catalyse the reaction. The platinum contains pores to maximise the surface area and hence increase the rate at which the equilibrium is attained.
Reply 5

Four years later and this got me the answers I needed for the same question. Thank you student room haha

Quick Reply

Latest