The Student Room Group

Redox chemistry: help me understand the answer

I don’t get how the mark scheme gets a 3:2 mole ratio. Can someone explain?
Reply 1
this isn’t answering ur q but how have they got X as magnesium when it’s not a d block metal? also how can they assume X is being oxidised to a 2+ ion?
Cr electrode increases in mass therefore Cr3+ is being reduced to Cr. Cr3+ + 3e- -> Cr

X electrode decreases in mass so X is being oxidised. X is 2+ as it makes XSO4 and SO4 has charge 2-. Therefore X -> 2e- + X2+

To combine the equations you need to multiply the Cr one by 2 and X one by 3. Total equation would be 3X... -> 2Cr...
Therefore Cr:X is 2:3.

I assume the top line 'question is about d-block metals' refers to the rest of the question which is why they used Mg which isnt a d-block metal.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by user8937264980
Cr electrode increases in mass therefore Cr3+ is being reduced to Cr. Cr3+ + 3e- -> Cr

X electrode decreases in mass so X is being oxidised. X is 2+ as it makes XSO4 and SO4 has charge 2-. Therefore X -> 2e- + X2+

To combine the equations you need to multiply the Cr one by 2 and X one by 3. Total equation would be 3X... -> 2Cr...
Therefore Cr:X is 2:3.

I assume the top line 'question is about d-block metals' refers to the rest of the question which is why they used Mg which isnt a d-block metal.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense

Quick Reply

Latest