The Student Room Group

Which university is best for physics and astrophysics?

Hi, so I'm a GCSE student and lately I've been thinking about what I actually want to do with my life after 6th form (it definitely hasn't been my mum pushing me XD) and I've realised that I have a passion for physics, meaning I constantly bring it into real life so much so that my 8 year old brother can now explain to his class how exactly a compass works! What I really don't know though, is where is the best place to go, I don't care where in the country, as long as accommodation isn't really expensive, it'd just really help if I could get some ideas of where to go, thanks!
It's probably not original to say Cambridge and Oxford are the best places to study Physics. Outside those two, Manchester, UCL, Durham (particularly for Cosmology), and Edinburgh are particularly good. Imperial is very good for Physics but has a comparatively small Astrophysics department. There are probably a few others I've forgotten which are also strong centers for Astrophysics research. Research quality won't matter as much as entry standards for the undergraduate experience but it will impact what projects are available, especially your master's project, and what you subsequently do after that, so it's worth thinking about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, I'll definitely look at them then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending