The Student Room Group
University College Birmingham
Birmingham

I hope everyone's applications and studies are going well. if anyone would like any information/ advise on university courses of life at University College Birmingham I am happy to help :smile:
Reply 1
Hii, I'm (hopefully) going to UCB next year after a gap year and have been to an open day and was wondering if you would be able to tell me anything about student life in Birmingham and what the fresher's events are like at the uni??

Edit: also what living in the accommodation is really like?? :smile: :smile:

Sent from my Bush Spira D2 5.5" Smartphone using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Birmingham
Hi, I am in my third year at UCB. I really enjoy living in Birmingham for uni because there is so much to do - it means that when you have people over to visit there is lots to show them and you meet so many different types of people which is cool! I personally never went to any freshers events just because of lack of time and interest :| but that's just me! There are loads of societies which you can join, during freshers week UCB hold a freshers fair where you can get more information about all the societies and that's a great way to find out about the events. If societies aren't your thing you could always contact the UCB student guild, they will be happy to direct you to some cool events. There are two UCB accommodations the first one is Cambrian halls which I have never lived at so I'm not too sure what it is like but then there is also the Maltings which I lived at in first year. I personally enjoyed living at the Maltings, security is great, the rooms are really spacious, you have an ensuite and the flats are flats of 8 so you quickly meet quite a few people. There is also Bar One at the Maltings which is the student bar, its great! its really cheap and a lot of people hang out there. Another good thing about Birmingham is that its pretty central in the UK and there a huge train station called New Street so its really easy to travel, I go home and go to see my boyfriend quite often so I have found that really handy. I would recommend looking on the UCB website and looking at the UCBloggers blogs they're really helpful and talk a lot about uni life at UCB and in Birmingham. http://www.ucb.ac.uk/student-life/ucbloggers/ucbloggers.aspx hope this helps! x
Hey Meg

Yay UCB is amazing - I'm in my final year and don't want to ever leave :frown: haha. I haven't lived in halls but I have friends that do and they really like it, I've been to both the accommodations and the rooms are cosy - it just depends on which on you'd like to live in as there is Maltings (ensuite bathroom) and Cambrian (shared between 2 people bathroom). The Maltings is great because its a 10 min walk to the campus' and super close to the nightlife hotspots (broad st, Brindley Place).
Cambrian is literally opposite the main site of summer row and if I were to live in halls I'd of probably chose to live here :smile:

In terms of student life Birmingham has so much to offer! The night life is of course extremely popular for students but there is more to the city than that. We have really quirky and unique places to eat, the shopping is the best, lots of beautiful parks close to the city and fun activities to try, things like watersports in Edgbaston Resevoir, rock climbing, escape live rooms, cinemas, bowling and lots more! I love living and studying in Birmingham.

Hope that helps you :smile: what are you thinking of studying?

Debby x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending