The Student Room Group

University College Dublin/Trinity College Dublin

Hey,
What is the criteria to get into either university? Besides A level grades, do they want extracurriculars or anything of that sort or is admission only based on grades and personal statement?
Also, do they give conditional offers on your AS level result?
Thanks for any help in advance!
I know for trinity it is points based but only for a levels. Ireland doesn't have UCAS personal statements just grades. For trinity you need roughly 400-550 points depending on how popular and competitive the course is. the points are:
Best three A Levels (A2)A* 180 A 150 B 130
Fourth A-Level (A2) A* 60 A 50 B 45
Or AS A 30 B 25
Reply 2
Original post by Sophiegraceb
I know for trinity it is points based but only for a levels. Ireland doesn't have UCAS personal statements just grades. For trinity you need roughly 400-550 points depending on how popular and competitive the course is. the points are:
Best three A Levels (A2)A* 180 A 150 B 130
Fourth A-Level (A2) A* 60 A 50 B 45
Or AS A 30 B 25

Thanks! But would that mean that I'd have to take a gap year? Since A levels results come out in August in the year I'm supposed to be starting uni.
Reply 3
Original post by 123PC
Thanks! But would that mean that I'd have to take a gap year? Since A levels results come out in August in the year I'm supposed to be starting uni.

No. To apply for Irish unis, it's called CAO. You do it in the January of your last year. You fill it out (I think it's 10 options) and send it away. You don't find out until August whether or not you've gotten into any of your chosen courses.

I have a friend at Trinity and he had to wait a few days last August after results day to see if he had gotten into Trinity. He then had to be released from his UCAS firm.
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
No. To apply for Irish unis, it's called CAO. You do it in the January of your last year. You fill it out (I think it's 10 options) and send it away. You don't find out until August whether or not you've gotten into any of your chosen courses.

I have a friend at Trinity and he had to wait a few days last August after results day to see if he had gotten into Trinity. He then had to be released from his UCAS firm.

Oh I see, thanks!
Original post by 123PC
Hey,
What is the criteria to get into either university? Besides A level grades, do they want extracurriculars or anything of that sort or is admission only based on grades and personal statement?
Also, do they give conditional offers on your AS level result?
Thanks for any help in advance!

I suggest that you read the sticky at top of this forum regarding how to apply to Irish universities - it has loads of advice. Depending on the course that you wish to take you will probably need to take four A levels in order to get the required points - my daughter's History and Political Science course in Trinity needed 510 points in 2014. UCD tends to require lower points depending on the course - as the larger university it has more available spaces. You need at least one language at GCSE level.

Don't forget that Ireland doesn’t have a Student loan system so be aware of the fees and living cost. Trinity College courses run for four years, and for three years in other universities.

You need to look at the applications website www.cao.ie for more information.
Reply 6
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
I suggest that you read the sticky at top of this forum regarding how to apply to Irish universities - it has loads of advice. Depending on the course that you wish to take you will probably need to take four A levels in order to get the required points - my daughter's History and Political Science course in Trinity needed 510 points in 2014. UCD tends to require lower points depending on the course - as the larger university it has more available spaces. You need at least one language at GCSE level.

Don't forget that Ireland doesn’t have a Student loan system so be aware of the fees and living cost. Trinity College courses run for four years, and for three years in other universities.

You need to look at the applications website www.cao.ie for more information.

Thank you for your advice! I'm trying to see if there is an integrated program so that I can complete my masters too within four years. Both universities give scholarships, so I'm banking on that!
hi, i want to get into trinity and I'm restarting my first year at sixth form. does it matter what my A levels subjects are? i want to do English studies and i only need my a level in literature- like it is for UK universities- but unis in the UK have preferences of subjects still- like for a literature student, other essay subjects are good qualifications to have and traditional a levels such as history are valued more that subjects like media studies etc. is it the same in Ireland, if its based on an overall score and not individual grades, does it matter what my subjects are as long as i get good grades in them?
thanks, i haven't been able to find answer for this anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending