The Student Room Group

standard solutions

I'm planning for a required practical and I'm asked to prepare approx 0.02 mol/dm3 of acidified potassium manganate. I'm provided with 1 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.

How would I go about this. I have worked out that 0.79g of KMnO4 is needed but does the acid affect the concentration when added?
Original post by michaelfish1998
I'm planning for a required practical and I'm asked to prepare approx 0.02 mol/dm3 of acidified potassium manganate. I'm provided with 1 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.

How would I go about this. I have worked out that 0.79g of KMnO4 is needed but does the acid affect the concentration when added?

no, just use it instead of water...

... on a side note, how's the weather?
Original post by charco
no, just use it instead of water...

... on a side note, how's the weather?

4)
Prepare 1000 ml of 0.01 mol/dm3 potassium manganate (VII) solution by weighing out approximately 0.01 moles of potassium manganate (VII) and dissolve it in 100 ml of 2 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.
5) This is transferred to a 1000 ml volumetric flask and made up to the mark with deionised water.

I will probably be making less than 1 litre of the solution

I found some instructions for making the acidified manganate but this says to use both the acid and water???? any ideas?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by michaelfish1998
4)
Prepare 1000 ml of 0.01 mol/dm3 potassium manganate (VII) solution by weighing out approximately 0.01 moles of potassium manganate (VII) and dissolve it in 100 ml of 2 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.
5) This is transferred to a 1000 ml volumetric flask and made up to the mark with deionised water.

I will probably be making less than 1 litre of the solution

I found some instructions for making the acidified manganate but this says to use both the acid and water???? any ideas?

Answered your PM

Quick Reply

Latest