The Student Room Group

Did we lose Hong Kong because of EU membership?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Blame the EU? Incorporate Hong Kong back into the UK?

Were you on the sauce when you wrote this post?

PRSOM.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I know. It's one thing to go to some place and think people are barbaric and backwards and then say whatever goes, collateral. But to praise a civilization and show hw valuable it is and then install that as policy, just makes me sick. It wasn't even in the UK's long term national interests to do it, either. I used to view the link romantically but not when you find out more.

It's just so sad.... to ruin millions of lives so that they can benefit from it.. as I said, disgusting, and this is one of reasons why we still have bloody wars on Earth.
Original post by lawlieto
It's just so sad.... to ruin millions of lives so that they can benefit from it.. as I said, disgusting, and this is one of reasons why we still have bloody wars on Earth.

The establishment of this country have been extraordinarily manipulative. Still are IMO. Mind you, I'm not a moral absolutist, I think Britain is complex and enigmatic, and I recognise there is no country without severe ills, especially ones that have used power over others.
We lost the like of India because of Hitler and the war. No changing that.
We gave away Hong Kong, seemingly without a fight, in '97.
I'd like to find out why, and I now really rue EU membership and am wondering if the fact our hands were tied, meant that we couldn't hang on to Hong Kong...
More broadly, what will be the future of Hong Kong, they have a certain amount of devolved autonomy, but surely had that under us. Will they want full independence? Would the international community help them, or please China?
And here is a pipe dream, with a UK outside the EU, could we incorporate them again, given our historical links?

And this is a separate point, but I was amazed to find this about Jamaica-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009487/We-stayed-Britain-Shock-poll-reveals-60-Jamaicans-think-theyd-better-colony.html

Jesus we could have some of the empire back if we really wanted it. I guess tbh we'd rather have HK than Jamaica though, because of prosperity and safety.

I'm fairly sure we did a deal before ww2 to hand India back and i think Hong Kong was on a lease. Either way we wouldn't have defended Hong Kong if attacked

Posted from TSR Mobile
We lost the like of India because of Hitler and the war. No changing that.
We gave away Hong Kong, seemingly without a fight, in '97.
I'd like to find out why, and I now really rue EU membership and am wondering if the fact our hands were tied, meant that we couldn't hang on to Hong Kong...
More broadly, what will be the future of Hong Kong, they have a certain amount of devolved autonomy, but surely had that under us. Will they want full independence? Would the international community help them, or please China?
And here is a pipe dream, with a UK outside the EU, could we incorporate them again, given our historical links?

And this is a separate point, but I was amazed to find this about Jamaica-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009487/We-stayed-Britain-Shock-poll-reveals-60-Jamaicans-think-theyd-better-colony.html

Jesus we could have some of the empire back if we really wanted it. I guess tbh we'd rather have HK than Jamaica though, because of prosperity and safety.

We 'lost' Hong Kong because of the agreements we made with China for it's possession were coming to their end, the Chinese government basically threatened the UK with rolling right in with the PLA if the UK didn't hand it over, and decolonization was all the rage during the mid-to-late half of the 20th century.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending