The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Chemistry Synthetic Routes

I have created some synthetic routes graphics during my revision and thought I would post them here in case anyone else finds them useful :smile:

Please let me know if you find any mistakes!:smile:
Reply 1
Very nice, but can I suggest a couple of things to think about:

You perhaps should include when/where heating/warming is required, throughout
Some recognition of secondary alcohol on the 1st one (admittedly it is just the same as AS)
Acknowledgement of Markovnikov's rule - you go from an alkene to a primary alcohol, which would require ethene as your alkane; a secondary alcohol is the major product with other alkenes.
Addition polymerisation is missing throughout
A minor one: alkene + halogen -> dihaloalkane is missing (but again it is just he same as + hydrogen halide)
It is interesting that you create 2,4,6-tribromophenylamine, rather than the reaction on the specification from phenol - it is correct and better fits your scheme, but...
Which leads to 'directing effects' are missing

I hope I am not coming across as negative, it is a very good go at it and better than any of my students have ever done. I can't say I have ever done better, either.

If you improve it, I'll have to steal it and pass it off as my own work :smile:
Original post by Pigster
Very nice, but can I suggest a couple of things to think about:

You perhaps should include when/where heating/warming is required, throughout
Some recognition of secondary alcohol on the 1st one (admittedly it is just the same as AS)
Acknowledgement of Markovnikov's rule - you go from an alkene to a primary alcohol, which would require ethene as your alkane; a secondary alcohol is the major product with other alkenes.
Addition polymerisation is missing throughout
A minor one: alkene + halogen -> dihaloalkane is missing (but again it is just he same as + hydrogen halide)
It is interesting that you create 2,4,6-tribromophenylamine, rather than the reaction on the specification from phenol - it is correct and better fits your scheme, but...
Which leads to 'directing effects' are missing

I hope I am not coming across as negative, it is a very good go at it and better than any of my students have ever done. I can't say I have ever done better, either.

If you improve it, I'll have to steal it and pass it off as my own work :smile:

Thanks so much for the feedback! I shall definitely use your points and try to improve it soon, especially the conditions :smile: As for the alkene to alcohol, the secondary and primary sub-heading was supposed to only be about the distillation and reflux part of the graphic but looking at it again it is slightly unclear. You haven't come across negative at all and have made some helpful points! :smile: Thanks again!
Completely saved me even 6 years down the line. Thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Babysweets^^
Completely saved me even 6 years down the line. Thank you!!

Omg I had totally forgot about this 😂 I've now finished my a-levels and even university but I'm so glad they are still useful for you! 🎉

Quick Reply

Latest