The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I keep posting the same question over and over again because I am so indecisive, but it is three days before school starts and I am rethinking my options. I am down to take biology, psychology, german and drama for A-Level, but then I got my results for GCSE back and it made it so much more difficult for me to decide. I got 8 9s and 2 7s, and one of those 7s was drama which baffled me because I had been predicted 9s throughout the whole GCSE course, getting almost full marks on the mocks we did every fortnight, and it's thrown me off completely. I feel as though because I did well in science for GCSE I should channel it at A-Level but I also did well at English etc and I know that taking four A-Levels with Bio and Chem is so difficult so I am really unsure as to what to do. I am undecided as to careers etc so I want to keep my options as open as possible, but I am thinking perhaps of going into research and being an academic or a lecturer or something like that but I am really unsure. I love English but I have started reading and doing research on authors and themes and novels etc in my leisure time this summer, so I am not sure if I should take English or just keep that as a fun hobby?

The subjects I would take if I got to choose right this second would be the four above, so does anyone have any anecdotes or advice for me? The boards are Bio OCR - A, Chem OCR - A, Theatre Studies Edexcel, Psych AQA - A, English OCR, German AQA. Thank you so much for your help, and I am sorry for constantly polluting the forums with my silly indecisive mind 😭
Reply 1
Original post by raindropxox
I keep posting the same question over and over again because I am so indecisive, but it is three days before school starts and I am rethinking my options. I am down to take biology, psychology, german and drama for A-Level, but then I got my results for GCSE back and it made it so much more difficult for me to decide. I got 8 9s and 2 7s, and one of those 7s was drama which baffled me because I had been predicted 9s throughout the whole GCSE course, getting almost full marks on the mocks we did every fortnight, and it's thrown me off completely. I feel as though because I did well in science for GCSE I should channel it at A-Level but I also did well at English etc and I know that taking four A-Levels with Bio and Chem is so difficult so I am really unsure as to what to do. I am undecided as to careers etc so I want to keep my options as open as possible, but I am thinking perhaps of going into research and being an academic or a lecturer or something like that but I am really unsure. I love English but I have started reading and doing research on authors and themes and novels etc in my leisure time this summer, so I am not sure if I should take English or just keep that as a fun hobby?

The subjects I would take if I got to choose right this second would be the four above, so does anyone have any anecdotes or advice for me? The boards are Bio OCR - A, Chem OCR - A, Theatre Studies Edexcel, Psych AQA - A, English OCR, German AQA. Thank you so much for your help, and I am sorry for constantly polluting the forums with my silly indecisive mind 😭

Perhaps the correct response would would be for me to tell you to do whatever enjoy more, but unless you are likely to do a degree or have a career in performing arts, I would swap drama for something else, maybe English lit, if you are likely to go down the humanities or social sciences route, or maybe maths or chem if you are likely to go down a STEM route.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
Perhaps the correct response would would be for me to tell you to do whatever enjoy more, but unless you are likely to do a degree or have a career in performing arts, I would swap drama for something else, maybe English lit, if you are likely to go down the humanities or social sciences route, or maybe maths or chem if you are likely to go down a STEM route.

My friends and I are thinking that we might try to start a Sixth Form Drama Club, for fun and also because it seems as if it would be good on my application to uni / my CV. I actually am feeling really excited thinking about taking biology and chemistry and the rest, perhaps it is because it is late and I am not quite thinking clearly. :colondollar: I might start off with these and see how I do with the workload and then think about maybe taking one for AS if I am able to do that. I know that for Biology and Chemistry you can at my school, so that perhaps might be an option but it seems a little bit silly. At the moment, I am really interested in going to a Scottish University as my niece goes to Edinburgh and says that she finds it much better than English Uni systems as you can take lots of different modules in different subject, which sounds absolutely ideal for me! Sorry for all of the rambling :s-smilie:
Reply 3
My friends and I are thinking that we might try to start a Sixth Form Drama Club, for fun and also because it seems as if it would be good on my application to uni / my CV. I actually am feeling really excited thinking about taking biology and chemistry and the rest, perhaps it is because it is late and I am not quite thinking clearly. :colondollar: I might start off with these and see how I do with the workload and then think about maybe taking one for AS if I am able to do that. I know that for Biology and Chemistry you can at my school, so that perhaps might be an option but it seems a little bit silly. At the moment, I am really interested in going to a Scottish University as my niece goes to Edinburgh and says that she finds it much better than English Uni systems as you can take lots of different modules in different subject, which sounds absolutely ideal for me! Sorry for all of the rambling :s-smilie:

Sounds good . Best of luck.
Reply 4

External validity is where the results of the study can be generalised to other situations outside the study. There are three types of external validity. For example, population validity this is where the results can be generalised to other people such as a target population. There are techniques of sampling which can be high in population validity. For example, opportunity sampling as the research can have rich and varied information based on participants and their beliefs or attitudes towards something more results to analyse more participants. There is also ecological validity which relates to the findings within an experiment to be generalised to real life situations outside the experiment. There are types of locations that a study can be carried out in which would lack in ecological validity due to the controlled environments such a laboratory experiment and an experiment that would be high in ecological validity would be a field experiment due to uncontrolled conditions. The third type of validity is temporal validity which means that the results obtained can be generalised to periods of time which might include written accounts and changing attitudes or opinions regarding an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest