The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you want to go to Shanghai, Shanghai Jiao Tong University has short term summer courses. I did their long term, semester-long course and it was awesome! The classes were really helpful, my Mandarin improved a lot, and Shanghai is great for shopping and clubbing!
http://www.sie.sjtu.edu.cn/page/en-page/homepage.asp

I've also heard of one called World Link Education, which has courses in several cities in China. Sorry I don't know much about it beyond that.

By the way, are you learning Mandarin for the first time as a beginner or have you learnt it before?
Reply 2
My friend goes to BLCU - Beijing Language and Cultural University. Loads of International students here:

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/english/
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies.

I'm learning a little Mandarin through Rosetta Stone, but I'm definitely a beginner.

mml and cabso1 I'll chech out your suggestions.

Thank you.
Reply 4
most of the main/big universities in china offer chinese (mandarin) language courses for foreigners so you could look up their websites.
Reply 5
Go to Beijing. Mandarin is based on Beijing accent.
Reply 6
let me know if you have any questions about Beijing as I am there at the moment.

Check out these guys They are all really friendly and there are loads of students on the forum. Good learning resources too. If you want to be insulted then go to this magazine forum where you can find all kinds of useful info but also loads of flame wars. You need to be pretty tough-skinned to go on that one! There are masses of language schools too if the learning gets too difficult. I dropped out of Yantai university because I just couln't hack it. I am sure you will enjoy every minute.... :-)
try out BLCU or Fudan university... I'm going to BLCU this summer! my friend went there but for a 1 year long course, and now he's fluent + can read and write....
Reply 8
I guess it is very difficult for foreigners to learn Chinese.@@
Reply 9
shortornotnat
try out BLCU or Fudan university... I'm going to BLCU this summer! my friend went there but for a 1 year long course, and now he's fluent + can read and write....

yes it is possible to be fluent after doing an intensive (full time) 1 year course. perhaps not as fluent as a native speaker but if you are very determined to, it's definitely possible!

in fact, there was this guy in my class at shanghai jiao tong (SJTU) who was nearly fluent in speaking after just one semester! which is really amazing. well he was really outgoing and talkative, so i guess he just practiced speaking and made friends with random people in bars and everywhere until he became fluent.

Latest

Trending

Trending