The Student Room Group

I am an international student from China and I want to apply for the PGCE course.

Hello all.

I am from China, and currently studying an MA education course in the UK. After studying and understanding the key theories in education concepts in the U.K., the U.K. school curriculums, basically, the more I learn from my current course, the more I want to be a teacher in the U.K., and I am looking to apply for a PGCE course starting in this coming September, in the primary sector. And would like to ask, what are the odds of my successful application? As I acknowledge that the PGCE course is primarily aimed at locals/ people with English as their first language.

Thank you for taking time to read my question.
Original post by Aeian182
Hello all.

I am from China, and currently studying an MA education course in the UK. After studying and understanding the key theories in education concepts in the U.K., the U.K. school curriculums, basically, the more I learn from my current course, the more I want to be a teacher in the U.K., and I am looking to apply for a PGCE course starting in this coming September, in the primary sector. And would like to ask, what are the odds of my successful application? As I acknowledge that the PGCE course is primarily aimed at locals/ people with English as their first language.

Thank you for taking time to read my question.

I think your main problem would be getting a sponsored visa. While there is to an extent a teaching recruitment crisis, primary isn't a shortage subject so there's little incentive for schools to sponsor a visa. Additionally, for a Tier 2 visa, "you’ll usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year" according to the government, and teaching jobs start at around just £22,000 - I'm not sure if there is a way around this.

Your best option is to contact Get Into Teaching, which is managed by the government: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/contact. There's a freephone number or you can talk online.

If, theoretically, the visa problem was solved, then applications will open this October for September 2019 entry. Before applying, you'd need around 10 days of experience in a state primary school across at least two key stages. If you wanted to apply for September 2018 entry, then applications are open now but places are going quickly.
Reply 2
If you teach in and around London, you will get paid above £22k. You will need to pass equivalent tests for Maths and English so you will need to look into it.

I was born oversea and am teaching in the UK. However, I did all of my education in the UK from A Level onward so I am fluent in spoken English. Although, I teach in a shortage subject, I did take me a while to gain my first job.
I am currently doing my primary PGCE with a girl from China and she has just secured a job teaching Mandarin to primary pupils. Her school is sponsoring her visa.Just remember the fees are much higher. Good luck!
Hi have did everything go? Did you go for PGCE course? I'm also from China. I went onto a PGCE course for about 10 weeks but got some problems- mainly due to I am not local, therefore I deferred to the next year. I am thinking if I should change direction or continue with teaching.
Reply 5
Original post by EachPeach1212
Hi have did everything go? Did you go for PGCE course? I'm also from China. I went onto a PGCE course for about 10 weeks but got some problems- mainly due to I am not local, therefore I deferred to the next year. I am thinking if I should change direction or continue with teaching.

Hi, I am a non-native oversea student, currently considering applying for a PGCE course. If you don't mind, would you be able to elaborate more on why you couldn't continue with your PGCE course? I've been researching my career options and collecting as much information as possible, and I would appreciate your answer! Thank you!
Original post by EachPeach1212

Hi, why were you deferred to the next year? You have been given an offer and have gone onto the course. BTW, did you apply for it from outside UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending