The Student Room Group

GCSE for October/November badge

Hii guys!
I'm currently being homeschooled and i'm intended to write my GCSE next year but i've recently just moved from my country to the UK and haven't been familiar with the GCSE subjects so i'm considering of writing my GCSE for Oct/Nov badge, Is it possible for me to do Maths, English Literature,English Language,Computer Science, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Sociology and Mandarin (Foreign Language)? I heard you can only do re-sits but im not fully sure.
I would love a response,
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by jadah_123
Hii guys!
I'm currently being homeschooled and i'm intended to write my GCSE next year but i've recently just moved from my country to the UK and haven't been familiar with the GCSE subjects so i'm considering of writing my GCSE for Oct/Nov badge, Is it possible for me to do Maths, English Literature,English Language,Computer Science, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Sociology and Mandarin (Foreign Language)? I heard you can only do re-sits but im not fully sure.
I would love a response,
Thank you!

You can only take Englsih and Maths in the November.

"GCSE English language and maths are available every November. Entry is restricted to students aged 16 and over. Most entries are from students seeking to improve their grade from the previous summer, or from students that had planned to enter in the summer but were unable to do so."
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You can only take Englsih and Maths in the November.

"GCSE English language and maths are available every November. Entry is restricted to students aged 16 and over. Most entries are from students seeking to improve their grade from the previous summer, or from students that had planned to enter in the summer but were unable to do so."

Thank you for your response,

So do i appl for resist's during October/November even when i haven't written them before?
Reply 3
Thank you for your response,

So do i appl for resist's during October/November even when i haven't written them before?

Only English and Maths ...
Reply 4
Hii guys!
I would love a response,
Thank you!

How far through are you with homeschooling? Muttley is right in that you can only sit GCSE English and Maths in November, but it's worth noting that the iGCSE equivalents (which are valued just the same most of the time) can also be sat in January (or November depending on the exam I think, they recently changed this), as well as May/June.
iGCSEs are also popular with homeschooled students as their are less practical endoresements, e.g. for English Language you don't need a speaking assessment, which is problematic for many because many centres don't offer it, but AQA GCSE and such require it for a GCSE pass.
Might be worth considering iGCSEs?

To say that more concisely, only English and Maths can be taken in November for GCSEs, but any international GCSEs can be taken then (ish). So it might be worth checking them out? If you can't, just ignore this haha.
Best of luck :biggrin:. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 5
Original post by {Moss}
How far through are you with homeschooling? Muttley is right in that you can only sit GCSE English and Maths in November, but it's worth noting that the iGCSE equivalents (which are valued just the same most of the time) can also be sat in January (or November depending on the exam I think, they recently changed this), as well as May/June.
iGCSEs are also popular with homeschooled students as their are less practical endoresements, e.g. for English Language you don't need a speaking assessment, which is problematic for many because many centres don't offer it, but AQA GCSE and such require it for a GCSE pass.

To say that more concisely, only English and Maths can be taken in November for GCSEs, but any international GCSEs can be taken then (ish). So it might be worth checking them out? If you can't, just ignore this haha.

It might be hard to find a centre to sit an iGCSE and fees are likely to be more as state schools won't have their own students sitting them.
Reply 6
Original post by {Moss}

Thank you for your response, i may consider English IGCSE as I'm already used to it.

Also, If you know any schools willing to accept me during this school year i would be so grateful for your help but if not its great. i have been self teaching myself because no schools are willing to accept me in because this is an exam year.
Do you think me trying to learn these courses myself is realistic and i would get outstanding results (9's/8's)
Reply 7
Thank you for your response, i may consider English IGCSE as I'm already used to it.

Also, If you know any schools willing to accept me during this school year i would be so grateful for your help but if not its great. i have been self teaching myself because no schools are willing to accept me in because this is an exam year.
Do you think me trying to learn these courses myself is realistic and i would get outstanding results (9's/8's)

Yeah I mean, you would be pretty hard put to find a school that would accept you for this year I'm afraid. It is certainly doable (I myself homeschooled with just the books and free resources) but does require a lot of dedication especially in one year. Subjects like English especially are harder, because it's more difficult to mark your own exams, though there are things you can do to get them marked anyway. So for those, you'd have to feel a lot more confident with from the start and be able to use exemplar answers well.

Alternatively, there are online schools that you can fast track with in order to learn content in a year. However they range from several hundred pounds, so are very dependent on if you have that sort of money though. Might be worth considering just doing like some subjects with it, and then doing the rest by yourself?

I would say, again if you're motivated, it's definitely doable to get 8s/9s, though I'd definitely say that's more likely in subjects that you can mark yourself (e.g. sciences/math, etc.). It would also require a lot of work to do in one year, but again it's certainly doable (though of course realism depends on you as said).

Also as Muttley said (sorry I would quote but don't want to lose this haha), iGCSEs aren't at all centres, so you'd have to check registered centres accepting private candidates, and email to see if they do iGCSEs. And again as Muttley said they can be much more expensive (sometimes around 4x as much were you to sit it at a state school). If you were to go this route too, or even at state schools (which don't guarantee allowing you to sit it with them either), it's worth emailing a lot of exam centres to see what their prices are (some are quite fraudulent in a way). And of course, depends where you live, you might have to go further abroad.
So thanks for bringing that up Muttley, very important point :smile:
Sorry for the length of this incidentally. But hopefully this gives you a better overview of the iGCSE and self-learn route. Best of luck again :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by {Moss}
Yeah I mean, you would be pretty hard put to find a school that would accept you for this year I'm afraid. It is certainly doable (I myself homeschooled with just the books and free resources) but does require a lot of dedication especially in one year. Subjects like English especially are harder, because it's more difficult to mark your own exams, though there are things you can do to get them marked anyway. So for those, you'd have to feel a lot more confident with from the start and be able to use exemplar answers well.

Alternatively, there are online schools that you can fast track with in order to learn content in a year. However they range from several hundred pounds, so are very dependent on if you have that sort of money though. Might be worth considering just doing like some subjects with it, and then doing the rest by yourself?

I would say, again if you're motivated, it's definitely doable to get 8s/9s, though I'd definitely say that's more likely in subjects that you can mark yourself (e.g. sciences/math, etc.). It would also require a lot of work to do in one year, but again it's certainly doable (though of course realism depends on you as said).

Also as Muttley said (sorry I would quote but don't want to lose this haha), iGCSEs aren't at all centres, so you'd have to check registered centres accepting private candidates, and email to see if they do iGCSEs. And again as Muttley said they can be much more expensive (sometimes around 4x as much were you to sit it at a state school). If you were to go this route too, or even at state schools (which don't guarantee allowing you to sit it with them either), it's worth emailing a lot of exam centres to see what their prices are (some are quite fraudulent in a way). And of course, depends where you live, you might have to go further abroad.
So thanks for bringing that up Muttley, very important point :smile:
Sorry for the length of this incidentally. But hopefully this gives you a better overview of the iGCSE and self-learn route. Best of luck again :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your response!!
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your response!!

My pleasure :smile:. Best wishes!

Quick Reply

Latest