The Student Room Group

Top of the Bench Chemistry Challenge

Hey! I was selected in my school to participate in the "Top of the Bench" chemistry competition held by the Royal Society of Chemistry. I've never been before and neither have my teachers so I have no idea what to expect; so if you've ever participated or watched one in the previous years, could you please tell me what it's like? What sort of questions and tasks do we have to do? What's the level of difficulty? Any information would be much appreciated.
Hey, it’s been a year so I’m assuming you’ve done it . How was it? I’ve been selected to do it too and I’m unsure about what the questions are like :smile:
Reply 2
Hey there @Zainab1734 First of all, congratulations! Glad to meet another chemistry nerd. Secondly, the questions are basically like GCSE, but all multiple choice. Topics like electrolysis, acids and bases, moles, hazard signs are some I remember. The practical was really easy, just a titration. I did this in year 11 and I’m in year 13 now so I don’t remember much but ask me anything you want and I’ll let you know if it comes to mind.
Original post by sofsferr02
Hey there @Zainab1734 First of all, congratulations! Glad to meet another chemistry nerd. Secondly, the questions are basically like GCSE, but all multiple choice. Topics like electrolysis, acids and bases, moles, hazard signs are some I remember. The practical was really easy, just a titration. I did this in year 11 and I’m in year 13 now so I don’t remember much but ask me anything you want and I’ll let you know if it comes to mind.

thank youu! I’m quite nervous about it as I’m the only year 11 doing it in my school and I don’t want to let my teachers down but now that you’ve said this, it doesn’t seem too bad. Do you think there’s anything in particular that I should go over?
Reply 4
Original post by Zainab1734
thank youu! I’m quite nervous about it as I’m the only year 11 doing it in my school and I don’t want to let my teachers down but now that you’ve said this, it doesn’t seem too bad. Do you think there’s anything in particular that I should go over?

I’m sure you’ll do great, you got this!! And I don’t really think there’s anything in particular you need to revise, if you’re up to date on your gcse chemistry, you’ll do just fine.
I’m sure you’ll do great, you got this!! And I don’t really think there’s anything in particular you need to revise, if you’re up to date on your gcse chemistry, you’ll do just fine.

Thank you so much!!
Reply 6
Original post by Zainab1734

same! i'm doing mine tomorrow how did you find yours?
Reply 7

I'm done for then, since I'm doing the competition too and we have not learned any of those!! (im in year 10, so that might be why) Fingers crossed it isn't too bad!!
Original post by elysia!
I'm done for then, since I'm doing the competition too and we have not learned any of those!! (im in year 10, so that might be why) Fingers crossed it isn't too bad!!

Hi! I'm doing it soon and was wondering, is the paper section of the regional heats individual or group? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest