The Student Room Group

ranking my gcse subjects

Ranking GCSE Subjects on enjoyment: (top = enjoyable)

Biology
English
Maths
RS
History
Chemistry
Business
Computer Science
Physics

On ease: (top = easy)

Maths (ever since I prepared for UKMT challenge I have never had to revise maths, it's weird and maths gcse feels like year 6 SATS whereas a few months ago i struggled)
Business
RS
Physics
Computer Science
Biology
History
Chemistry
English

What do u guys think? can anyone relate? any questions? also i plan to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit for A Levels .
(edited 1 month ago)
so just clarifying, you find biology and english more enjoyable than cs and physhics, that takes a lot of effort for me.
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
so just clarifying, you find biology and english more enjoyable than cs and physhics, that takes a lot of effort for me.
ye i mean with physics, i feel like the majority of it is very mundane maths like rearranging formulas. and then putting that into the calculator. at gcse you don't really even delve deep into the underlying concepts that much (and when you do, you rarely use that understanding) you just learn formulas and practice using them which i dont find too fun. also the worded stuff i dont like too much either bc of the picky mark scheme. its weirdly simple for a subject that is meant to be super hard, maybe its just me. i would honeslty enjoy if they made physics questions similar to gcse maths questions where near the end it requires a lot of problem solving, rather than simply picking out data from a question, retrieving the right formula, rearranging and using. people say if you like maths you will like physics, but physics has the most simple, boring maths (imo). physics as a topic in general is one of the most interesting but i personally dont like it at gcse, nor what i see at a level. much rather enjoy it in my free time, watching those cool vids and maybe there's a few good books i might read on physics.

with cs, i feel like its down to how my teacher teaches it, we basically just copy down from the board onto our computers/ make knowledge oragnisers on A3 paper, while copying down from an online knowledge organiser. and then take some tests, all in silence. as a subject its not actually bad, i enjoy coding but it can get super tedious at times. the theory isn't bad and can get interesting at times, but we only get a surface level understanding. like we simply have to accept that a firewall does x but we don't get to know how.

bio i find more interesting. except for plants. human biology is like studying the most intricate machine in the universe, the most brilliant piece of "engineering", tons of systems coming together to keep us alive. i also feel like the mark scheme clicks more for me in this subject, maybe its cus i spent more time revising it than the others.

english, i've only recently started liking. i feel like one day it "clicked" for me and i can somehow appreciate the beauty within literature. i like reading and writing and my favourite part: thinking deeply. sometimes i look at an otherwise disregarded quote, that no one takes interest in, and i think deeply to find meaning. did the writer intend that? (no) but i find it cool synthesising so much from so little. english is what maths is to science, the core of the humanities. it ties together history, philosophy (at a grade 9 level), sociology, psychology (in some ways, how characters interact, their relationships, what that tells the reader)..etc.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ismaelishere
ye i mean with physics, i feel like the majority of it is very mundane maths like rearranging formulas. and then putting that into the calculator. at gcse you don't really even delve deep into the underlying concepts that much (and when you do, you rarely use that understanding) you just learn formulas and practice using them which i dont find too fun. also the worded stuff i dont like too much either bc of the picky mark scheme. its weirdly simple for a subject that is meant to be super hard, maybe its just me. i would honeslty enjoy if they made physics questions similar to gcse maths questions where near the end it requires a lot of problem solving, rather than simply picking out data from a question, retrieving the right formula, rearranging and using. people say if you like maths you will like physics, but physics has the most simple, boring maths (imo). physics as a topic in general is one of the most interesting but i personally dont like it at gcse, nor what i see at a level. much rather enjoy it in my free time, watching those cool vids and maybe there's a few good books i might read on physics.
with cs, i feel like its down to how my teacher teaches it, we basically just copy down from the board onto our computers/ make knowledge oragnisers on A3 paper, while copying down from an online knowledge organiser. and then take some tests, all in silence. as a subject its not actually bad, i enjoy coding but it can get super tedious at times. the theory isn't bad and can get interesting at times, but we only get a surface level understanding. like we simply have to accept that a firewall does x but we don't get to know how.
bio i find more interesting. except for plants. human biology is like studying the most intricate machine in the universe, the most brilliant piece of "engineering", tons of systems coming together to keep us alive. i also feel like the mark scheme clicks more for me in this subject, maybe its cus i spent more time revising it than the others.
english, i've only recently started liking. i feel like one day it "clicked" for me and i can somehow appreciate the beauty within literature. i like reading and writing and my favourite part: thinking deeply. sometimes i look at an otherwise disregarded quote, that no one takes interest in, and i think deeply to find meaning. did the writer intend that? (no) but i find it cool synthesising so much from so little. english is what maths is to science, the core of the humanities. it ties together history, philosophy (at a grade 9 level), sociology, psychology (in some ways, how characters interact, their relationships, what that tells the reader)..etc.

i mean, fair enough. Personally so far physics hasn't had too much maths bit, and i don't mind the math cause well math always has normally been smth i understood. And with cs that is true, half the time its making powerpoint slides for notes with me, but i just find it more interesting than my other subjects [french, geography etc]. But icl im not the most imaginative person ever, so getting perfect links and explanations in english is smth i don't love. Cause half the time its trying to make a meaning of why someone wrote something. Which I get some people enjoy, but personally i find difficult.
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
i mean, fair enough. Personally so far physics hasn't had too much maths bit, and i don't mind the math cause well math always has normally been smth i understood. And with cs that is true, half the time its making powerpoint slides for notes with me, but i just find it more interesting than my other subjects [french, geography etc]. But icl im not the most imaginative person ever, so getting perfect links and explanations in english is smth i don't love. Cause half the time its trying to make a meaning of why someone wrote something. Which I get some people enjoy, but personally i find difficult.

ye english is a very niche passion. i wouldn't blame ppl for despising it cus if u dont "get it" its gonna suck. im personally not rlly a natural at it but it challenges my thinking in a way i enjoy.

french and geo sound like hell to me lol. although ive heard mfl classes r fun with kahoots and stuff, revision seems so dead. endless flashcards etc.

from my experience geography is the biggest "trap" subject. ik so many ppl who took it and regret it.
Original post by ismaelishere
ye english is a very niche passion. i wouldn't blame ppl for despising it cus if u dont "get it" its gonna suck. im personally not rlly a natural at it but it challenges my thinking in a way i enjoy.
french and geo sound like hell to me lol. although ive heard mfl classes r fun with kahoots and stuff, revision seems so dead. endless flashcards etc.
from my experience geography is the biggest "trap" subject. ik so many ppl who took it and regret it.

our school forces us to take at least one language and humanity so that sucks, french seemed the most natural to me out of the rest of them and its one of the more painful subjects. I do relatively well with geography as well so I don't mind it too much, its just boring tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest