The Student Room Group

Gym workout and Advice

Hi, I just started going to the gym (once a week but I can do more). Currently, I weigh around 50-60kg (20-year-old, 5'5, Sri-Lankan male) I'm fairly weak (I can bicep curl around 8kg max on my left but struggle sometimes to lift even 4kg on my right) and am "skinny fat" (but I do take somewhat regular long walks). I can do 20 push-ups in a row before feeling fatigued and my diet mainly consists of rice (I really can't control that since I live with my parents).

I was wondering if any good workouts for me focus on all the necessary muscles to size up and increase strength (I'm mainly focussing on the upper body but also want to lose the visceral fat from being skinny fat).

Any advice or better workouts is appreciated I mainly just want to gain muscle/strength and lose weight. If possible I want an outcome body like Spider-Man or Deku from MHA, so toned to impress my gf (but also so I don't feel insecure taking off my shirt lol so some ab definition is a plus lol).

This is my current workout (all are 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 60-second rest)
Bicep/hammer curls (when I first started I lifted 8kg but now my left can still lift 7/8kg but my right couldn't even curl 3+kg) - I get into form but my right sort of fails and my form is lost when I curl 90 degrees in
Seated Tricep dips (this is in its 30-40kgs)
Assisted tricep dips (14kg) -> Both tricep exercises are so i can eventually do actual tricep dips
Vertical chest press (10kg but I'm hoping to work up to being able to bench press)
Dumbbell shoulder press (I can lift to 10kg but my arms can't even lift it to get myself ready, so far I stick to around 6kg until my arm catches up)
Lateral raises (so far I can do 4kg)
Lateral pulldown (around 14 kg)
Assisted pull-ups (around 20 kg) -> i hope to eventually move onto actual pull-ups when i get the strength.
To give some feedback that covers the absolute basics:

1. You won't gain much muscle on a diet of mostly rice. You need a reasonable amount of protein in your diet.

2. Your workout is garbage. It is just arm exercises and a couple of push exercises. You are neglecting the majority of the muscles in your body. There is no progressive overload scheme. Beginners should follow tried and tested programs aimed at them rather than coming up with their own workouts.

My interest is in strength sports, so I'm not the best person to recommend a bodybuilding program. That said, I believe GZCL is a good starting point that covers both hypertrophy and strength: https://www.boostcamp.app/gzcl-method-gzclp-program-app
Reply 2
What’s the optimum set of reps/exercises for someone whos just finished bulking and wants to gain more muscle definition?
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorCarbon
Hi, I just started going to the gym (once a week but I can do more). Currently, I weigh around 50-60kg (20-year-old, 5'5, Sri-Lankan male) I'm fairly weak (I can bicep curl around 8kg max on my left but struggle sometimes to lift even 4kg on my right) and am "skinny fat" (but I do take somewhat regular long walks). I can do 20 push-ups in a row before feeling fatigued and my diet mainly consists of rice (I really can't control that since I live with my parents).

I was wondering if any good workouts for me focus on all the necessary muscles to size up and increase strength (I'm mainly focussing on the upper body but also want to lose the visceral fat from being skinny fat).

Any advice or better workouts is appreciated I mainly just want to gain muscle/strength and lose weight. If possible I want an outcome body like Spider-Man or Deku from MHA, so toned to impress my gf (but also so I don't feel insecure taking off my shirt lol so some ab definition is a plus lol).

Bicep/hammer curls (when I first started I lifted 8kg but now my left can still lift 7/8kg but my right couldn't even curl 3+kg) - I get into form but my right sort of fails and my form is lost when I curl 90 degrees in
Assisted tricep dips (14kg) -> Both tricep exercises are so i can eventually do actual tricep dips
Vertical chest press (10kg but I'm hoping to work up to being able to bench press)
Dumbbell shoulder press (I can lift to 10kg but my arms can't even lift it to get myself ready, so far I stick to around 6kg until my arm catches up)
Assisted pull-ups (around 20 kg) -> i hope to eventually move onto actual pull-ups when i get the strength.

1. Focus on compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups at the same time, such as bench presses, pull-ups/pull-ups, rows, squats, and deadlifts. These exercises will help you build overall strength and muscle mass.

2. Incorporate some isolation exercises, such as bicep curls and triceps extensions, to target the specific muscle groups you want to develop further.

3. Aim to increase the amount of weight lifted or the number of repetitions per workout to ensure you continue to challenge yourself.

4. Incorporate aerobic exercise into your routine to aid in fat loss. You can try running, using a stationary bike or elliptical machine, or combining your workout with HIIT (high-intensity interval training).

5. As for your diet, while it's great that your weight is within a healthy range, it's important to pay attention to the types of foods you eat. Try incorporating more protein-rich foods like eggs, chicken, fish, and beans, along with plenty of vegetables and complex carbohydrates (maybe try choosing brown rice instead of white). This will aid in muscle recovery and growth.
The Top 6 Male Exercises For Muscle Growth
Reply 4

A few tips may help:

1. Incorporate compound exercises: These exercises work multiple muscle groups at once and are great for building overall strength. Examples include squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows.

2. Focus on progressive overload: This means gradually increasing the weight or difficulty of your exercises over time to continually challenge your muscles. Aim to increase the weight or reps you can do each week.

3. Consider trying different rep ranges: While 10-12 reps is a good starting point, you may want to mix it up with lower reps and heavier weight (around 4-6 reps) or higher reps and lower weight (around 15-20 reps) for variety and to challenge your muscles in different ways.

4. Don't neglect cardio and nutrition: In addition to strength training, incorporating cardio and following a nutritious diet will help you lose fat and build muscle. Try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your meals and aim to eat a balanced diet.

5. Get enough rest: Make sure you're allowing your muscles enough time to recover between workouts. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Some food may help you sleep better.

Some additional exercises to consider incorporating:

- Bench press: This works your chest, triceps, and shoulders.
- Rows: This works your back muscles and can help improve posture.
- Planks and other core exercises: These will help define your abs and improve overall core strength.
- Lunges and squats: These will work your lower body muscles and can help improve overall leg strength.
Reply 5
I think it's all about your passion and desired about your goals that what you want to achieved by getting fit and healthy..
Reply 6

Get on a bulk bro. While you will get fatter from the bulk it's pretty inevitable to have to bulk for maybe 3-6 months and progressively get stronger in your compound lifts and then cut where you try to maintain muscle whilst losing weight.

Quick Reply

Latest