The Student Room Group

Aqa biology paper 1 a level 7th june 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
Did anyone think that none of the answers were correct in the multiple choice question about substitution? Because it said single substitution but the only one that could be correct had two different bases

Yep 100% super confused on that ended up just picking one of the two that could be applied.
Original post by ryangill007
it was a competitive inhibitor, cause it binded to the active site reduced e-s complexes

It wasnt an inhibitor. It acted like a non-competitive inhibitor but made active site more complementary
Original post by brendonurine
it wasnt an inhibitor. It acted like a non-competitive inhibitor but made active site more complementary

the question said it binded to the active site hence the rate was reduced its the question where u ahd to work out the tangent out
Did anyone think that none of the answers were correct in the multiple choice question about substitution? Because it said single substitution but the only one that could be correct had two different bases

Me too, I picked the one where two had been substituted because it wa she only one that worked
Original post by Seventyseven777
Same here

At first I though interphase but interphase isn’t a stage of mitosis, interphase precedes mitosis so I out prophase as the chromasomes had become visible but not lined along the equator
i got geo paper 2 tommorow how u think i feel g lool

bro i got physics paper 2 tomorrow i've been skipping classes all year lol
Me too, I picked the one where two had been substituted because it wa she only one that worked

Same it’s weird!
Reply 87
Original post by tomekgaypole
ive never felt this **** after an exam. Goodbye uni

yes my boy. I'm looking at apprenticeships now
the question said it binded to the active site hence the rate was reduced its the question where u ahd to work out the tangent out

Did it say it bound to the active site? I thought it just said enzyme. What do other people remember?
Reply 89
What did ppl put for the very last question about lactose (I think it was anyway but not completely sure)? Was 4 or 5 marks
did it say it bound to the active site? I thought it just said enzyme. What do other people remember?

it said it binded to the active site trust me g i remember
Yeah it sped up rate of reaction so it couldn’t Ben a competitive inhibitor. I put that because it’s a sugar it gave the enzyme More energy an enables it to break down the substrate faster but honestly IdK

The answers given were the codons in the DNA, not mRNA. So you had to convert it to mRNA and then use the table.
Original post by Mnahel Saleem
what did u get for the percentage one? i got 62%

I think I got 67.2% or maybe it was 62.7%

YES OF MY GOODNESS I WORKED it out it had to be 2 substitutions or 1 substitution of 2 bases so I put the third one down (can’t remember the letters but it was the only one that was thingy in the beginning then went to ala so it had to be that one)
Did it say it bound to the active site? I thought it just said enzyme. What do other people remember?

Said just enzyme.

Honestly this paper was horrible, I’ve missed out so many questions including entire of Q8, most of 7, half of 9 but fully did 10 confidentially. Also got 2 fully wrong. If I get 30/91 what would i have to aim to get an A* or A in paper 2 or 3? I usually get those grades and this paper has just ruined everything
Same it’s weird!

I think it meant substitution had occurred once and two bases were substituted in the process. Substitution can be of one or more base
Original post by L.Adriannaxxxx
Oh and the one about the sugar “lyxose” or something was a *****
yeah, I said that because it was a sugar it gave the enzyme more energy to break down the substrate but honestly IDK. It couldnt have been a competitive inhibitor because it somewhow increased the rate of reaction
Nah. The question said that lyxose binds to the enzyme involved in ATP hydrolysis. And the graph clearly showed that lyxose increased the rate of reaction. If lyxose bound to the active site, it would INHIBIT the rate of reaction. But it didn’t. So the lyxose bound to a site other than the active site, changed the shape of the active site to make it more complementary to the ATP substrate, more E-S complexes formed, increases rate.
Original post by ruadb0y
What did ppl put for the very last question about lactose (I think it was anyway but not completely sure)? Was 4 or 5 marks

Galactose + α-glucose joined together in condensation reaction forming glycosidic bond to form lactose. Golgi adds it to protein. I think 4 marks, deffo not 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending