The Student Room Group

Psytrance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh my word, oh my word, oh my word... 'Inside the Sound' by Ananda Shake is such an effing stomping album. Ahhhh! This stuff makes me go absolutely ballistically mental!

Offworld in 7 weeks. Yayayayayayyyyyy!
Infected Mushroom and 1200 Mgs :love:
Going to Asia over the summer and I heard its quite big in clubs there :smile:
Reply 22
1200 Mics' self-titled album's well good, innit. :smile:

Seriously, though, get 'Inside the Sound' by Ananda Shake. This is the best full-on album I've ever heard.
Ill get it tonight and have a listen :smile:
Reply 24
Nice one, dood. Y'won't be disappointed!
Atomik
1200 Mics' self-titled album's well good, innit. :smile:

Seriously, though, get 'Inside the Sound' by Ananda Shake. This is the best full-on album I've ever heard.

I'm downloading now.

I love 1200 Mics, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Boards of Canada is another favourite, not really psytrance as the rest, but still love it when I'm in a psychedelic music mood!
Reply 26
Ooh yay a psytrance thread :biggrin: How nice that these pop up every now and again!

My favourite genre of music ever ever ever. When its done well it puts every other genre to complete shame. When its done badly its a pile of poo.

I'll do a double list of some good artists I've either heard a lot of or a bit of or are apparently good split into prog and full on :biggrin:

Progressive (mmmmmmmm lovely stuff!!!):
Ace Ventura - his rebirth album is considered by many to be one of the best prog albums in recent times. Its quite good if a bit boring at times IMO :p:
Andromeda
Atmos
Echotek
Fatali
Gaudium
Human Blue - one of my faves
Klopfgeister
Liquid Soul - probably my current favourite prog artist
Overlap project
Tegma
Side A
Son Kite
Sun Control Species - very good
Vibrasphere - AMAZING, the archipalego album is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

Full on
AMD (Aphid Moon & Dickster) - the Big Fish album is probably one of the best psytrance albums I have ever heard it is soooo intricate and each track paints a huge picture its phenomenal.
Commercial Hippies
Cosma
D-Tek
Deviant Species - really interesting sound, kind of dark, full- on minimal. Took a while before I really 'got it'.
Dissociative
Elec3
Error Corrective
EVP - not sure what his album is like but his live sets are phenomenal - he is one of the best producers in the world at the moment IMO. Though most his sets these days are as part of Reality Grid with Leon....
Headroom - the new artelligent album is meant to be mindblowing stuff
Manifold
Oood - i really like them! A lovely organic, full sound and lots of fun.
Parasense - slightly darker
Principles of Flight
Protoculture - really good place to start if you want to start listening to psy - stunning melodies and lovely basslines
Protonica
Rastaliens
Reality Grid - you want to catch these boys live they are amazing!!!! EVP FTW!!!
Scorb
Sesto Sento (I dont really like his stuff but lots of people do)
Tristan
Laughing Buddha
Voice of Cod
Wrecked Machines - his stuff to me is split between gold and blergh (he apparently got signed to hommega I think? and then it all went a bit downhill) Look for the Blink album its excellent
Zen Mechanics - new holy cities album is meant to be one of the best new releases in the past couple of years

Most full on these days isnt to my taste if I'm honest... I find there is so much more crap to sift through to get to a sound that I like. I think I've gotten too picky!

Might as well give some downtempo recommendations while I'm here (not restricted to psy)....
Bluetech
BT
Celtic Cross
Entheogenic
Nagual Sound Experiment - WELLLLL GOOD!!!!!!
Ott
Shpongle
Shulman
Slackbaba
This list needs to be developed but I'm more interested in more beated stuff at the mo.

I've been to a couple of tribe of frogs and I wasnt hugely impressed tbh... I didnt like the music at all (fell into my 'bad psytrance' category :p: ) and everyone was far too off their faces on mdma (makes the atmosphere a bit weird IMO).

There hasnt been that much this year event wise to be honest to really make me go 'wow'. Probably since september there have only been.... 6-7 that have stood out. But when they stand out MY GOD do they stand out!

Anyhoooooo summer is here and forest parties have begun woopwoop!!!
Reply 27
I need to know about said forest parties. :wink:

I have a few parties planned. Are you gonna be going to the next Psychedelic Circle party? I didn't go to the last one, but heard it was well good.
Reply 28
I've been spending a lot of time exploring psytrance properly over the past few nights and I'm addicted. I've found that my interest lies mainly in darkpsy.

This stuff makes the front of your brain bubble. It's amazing late at night.
Reply 29
Darkpsy is mental. I've been trying to make some on my computer... Managed to come up with beats, but I'm having trouble with the synths and the mixing. :colondollar:

Check out Narcosis, N3xu5, Para Halu (older stuff)... I really like Fungus Funk too. They're not amazingly fast but they're so hard-sounding. Psymmetrix too. :biggrin:
Reply 30
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. :biggrin: I'll make that my project tonight.

I'd love to make my own too. Get yours up on last.fm if you ever finish it. :biggrin:
Reply 31
I shall indeed!

I've not really made stuff on it for a while. It got a bit overwhelming, plus I've only got the demo version for the programme that creates the bass. I'll give it another bash sometime today. :biggrin:

It's funny - quite a few psy fans I know only listen to it at parties. I listen to it all the time though. :redface:
Reply 32
I'm still new to the genre so I've listened in my room late at night and that's it. It works so well in headphones, though. Loads of artificial sounds buzzing through your head. :p:
Reply 33
It's weird - the scope of psytrance's sound really changes from headphones to live sound. In my headphones, I can hear all the panning really well, and a lot of the trippier psytrance relies on heavy panning. It's easier to notice all the intricate sounds too. But live or at a party, the sound is just so intense... Really, really thumping. I love it so much. Gets me going mental when I hear it at a party. :biggrin:

Maz, I'm listening to this AMD album now... I think I have found another favourite psytrance album. :biggrin: :biggrin: This is well good!!
Reply 34
AMD is well good isnt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had to force myself not to rinse it too much cos cant have myself getting tired of it :P but seriously when you listen to it through a proper pair of headphones that have super clarity and sound isolation and bass and blah blah blah aaahhhh you are transported straight to that psytrance world :biggrin:

Yeah the scope definitely changes a lot from headphones to live. I have become a proper soundsystem snob though; if the quality is not there I am generally bound to having a disappointing night cos I just get really frustrated thinking the sound isnt as good as it could be! Luckily psytrance parties generally spoil you for quality soundsystems, artists and decor and visuals.

Just check the parties section of psymusic for outdoor parties! Theres one pretty much every weekend for foreseeable future.... check out gemini this weekend it is going to be massive!! Originally 2 party crews put it on the same night so clashing but they have joined forces to make a huge thing. Next weekend's one looks wicked as well but unfortunately I'm out of town... :smile:

I'd like to explore some more dark psy stuff so cheers for the recommendations atomik! Its tricky to get right though from my experience, a lot of it that I've downloaded is just a bit too much and lacks any kind of depth or smooth progression through the track...

Oooh and you are trying your hand at producing thats wicked!! I want to get started on that soon at some point (at the moment going to focus on learning how to vj though! :biggrin::biggrin:). What programme are you using? Its well hard though I'd imagine... so flippin complex I wouldnt even know where to begin and so much technical stuff to learn!
Reply 35
Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when a song gets nice and hypnotic and then the rhythm changes and you have to start all over again?

Argh.

:teeth:
Reply 36
I love what I've heard of Schpongle, and was wanting to get into more psytrance. Definately going to give some of the recommendations in this thread a listen... thanks!
Reply 37
Shpongle aren't psytrance really, too downtempo but they're good anyhow! If you want something similar, listen to entheogenic, and Carbon Based Lifeforms, although the latter is more ambient.

I like 1200 micrograms they're pretty heavy.
Reply 38
Lol okay. Obviously I need this thread to educate me. :]

Thanks!
Reply 39
=nuke=
Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when a song gets nice and hypnotic and then the rhythm changes and you have to start all over again?

Argh.

:teeth:

Yes.

I also hate when a track is really good for the first half and then gets ridiculously cheesy for the second half.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh what are you doing???!!!

Latest artist to add to my favourites list:
Illegal Machines

OOOOMMMMMGGGG

Saw the guy play over the weekend and woowwwwww!!!! World class stuff. And he was so cool!!! Like normally the best psytrance artists who are amazing arent really that cool they're kinda geeky if anything but man he was so damn cool!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest