The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They are both top in Canada academically.

Reasons to choose UBC over McGill would be higher quality of life in Vancouver than Montreal due to nicer climate, nicer people, and nicer surroundings. Also Vancouver has much better job opportunities for non-French speakers than Montreal does.

Reasons to choose McGill over UBC would be better brand recognition in the US and possibly some parts of Europe.
Reply 2
shuantw
Would anyone go to UBC instead of McGill?? Is UBC better??

Any idea what you'd Major/Minor in?
Reply 3
Major in Science and Minor in Business. If I become interested in Business more, than I might switch from science to business.
Reply 4
Absolutely!! Two very different universities. Yes both large and yes both good reputations, but 2 very different cities. Montreal French speaking - which is kind of nice, but lots of snow and cold in the winter. Vancouver is a beautiful city, rated #1 place to live time and time again. Ocean plus skiing in the mountains. Campus is beautiful, unlike McGill it's a real campus instead of being scattered throughout downtown Montreal.
Several nobel prize winners at UBC. Substantial funding in the sciences. New labs new facilities all high tech, wireless everywhere... Check out the univ. report cards in the link below and also the videos on the link where real students talk about their experience at the universities

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/education
shuantw
Would anyone go to UBC instead of McGill?? Is UBC better??

Are you kidding? NO!

Jesus
Reply 6
drive like june
Are you kidding? NO!

Jesus

May I ask why?

p.s. i'm not that much into partying
shuantw
May I ask why?

p.s. i'm not that much into partying

Well the fact that you asked if anyone would SERIOUSLY go to UBC instead of McGill gives me the implication that you already know the answer.

The only downside I guess is Montreal itself. Obviously subjective, but I thought it was quite s-hit, though some people love it. I've never been to the Vancouver area, but from what I've seen and heard, its quite nice.
drive like june
Well the fact that you asked if anyone would SERIOUSLY go to UBC instead of McGill gives me the implication that you already know the answer.

The only downside I guess is Montreal itself. Obviously subjective, but I thought it was quite s-hit, though some people love it. I've never been to the Vancouver area, but from what I've seen and heard, its quite nice.

I've been to both the Vancouver area and Montreal area...both places are not that bad...but seriously...Montreal is pretty much Anglophone...it's probably much more Anglophone than Quebec City in truth. It's also a quiet place, yet you could get around the city...it isn't that hard as people say. A lot of the people there speak English...so don't worry too much about it. Vancouver, no doubt, is obviously Anglophone. Vancouver's scenery is really nice and very beautiful...but it's pretty rainy there due to the maritime climate. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
In terms of where is the nicer place to live, there really is no comparison between Vancouver and Montreal. However McGill brand may have slightly more reputational pull (still not as strong as most current students would like you to believe).
nauru
In terms of where is the nicer place to live, there really is no comparison between Vancouver and Montreal. However McGill brand may have slightly more reputational pull (still not as strong as most current students would like you to believe).

It really depends on the person...we can't really help him make the choice...but true...McGill has a better reputation than UBC.
Reply 11
plus what a great way to expand your french if u choose mcgill
and the mcgill brand power really is superior to ubcs.
ibibhelpme
plus what a great way to expand your french if u choose mcgill
and the mcgill brand power really is superior to ubcs.

Well...it really depends on what you want to do right? If you're talking about the Sciences (excluding Health Sciences)...then UBC is certainly the place where you should go. However...if you're doing Medicine or something in the Health Sciences, then McGill is certainly a better place. I also heard...the Music program at McGill is fantastic...so if you're planning to go on to Music, go to McGill as well! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending