The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology 7402 - Paper 1 - 6th June 2019

Scroll to see replies

during transcription, is it RNA polymerase that breaks the hydrogen bonds between dna strands or is it DNA helicase? I've read different things in different textbooks and online
Original post by detrimental-minx
Anyone got advice on the questions about statistical tests? You know when they ask which test to use and why? Really been letting me down on the mocks

the only one i can remember is that when the question involves expected values and an observed values, it's chi squared
T test is used when the results include means
Original post by 0rg4n1c
the only one i can remember is that when the question involves expected values and an observed values, it's chi squared

Original post by detrimental-minx
Anyone got advice on the questions about statistical tests? You know when they ask which test to use and why? Really been letting me down on the mocks
dna helicase
Original post by 0rg4n1c
during transcription, is it RNA polymerase that breaks the hydrogen bonds between dna strands or is it DNA helicase? I've read different things in different textbooks and online

DNA Helicase, try and think H for hydrogen
RNA polymerase forms the phosphodiester bonds, similarly, think P for Phosphate.

hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Meglimb
dna helicase

Original post by Virolite
DNA Helicase, try and think H for hydrogen
RNA polymerase forms the phosphodiester bonds, similarly, think P for Phosphate.

hope that helps :smile:

so is the CGP revision guide wrong? it says "Transcription starts when RNA polymerase attaches to the DNA double-helix at the beginning of a gene. The hydrogen bonds between the two DNA strands in the gene break, separating the strands." later on it talks about the RNA polymerase also joining up the nucleotides... so they say it does both?
Original post by 0rg4n1c
so is the CGP revision guide wrong? it says "Transcription starts when RNA polymerase attaches to the DNA double-helix at the beginning of a gene. The hydrogen bonds between the two DNA strands in the gene break, separating the strands." later on it talks about the RNA polymerase also joining up the nucleotides... so they say it does both?

CGP book is wrong
Original post by 0rg4n1c

In AQA PPQ I have done it's always DNA Helicase to unwind the DNA strand and RNA polymerase to join the nucleotides together by reforming the H bonds
euk vs pro dna
monoclonal antibodies and elisa test
benedicts
cell fractionation and related graphs
some graph analysis on digestion
and chromatography on amino acids (horrible question)
Original post by tsunderhi_
What type of topics came up?
Reply 69
Anyone got specimen paper 2019
this is correct but it doesn't reform h bonds, phosphate bonds

can someone confirm this?
Original post by medic2001
In AQA PPQ I have done it's always DNA Helicase to unwind the DNA strand and RNA polymerase to join the nucleotides together by reforming the H bonds
yeah that's wrong, cgp only good for their jokes lmao
Original post by 0rg4n1c
RNA polymerase forms the phophodiester bonds between the free-floating RNA nucleotides, there wont be any hydrogen bonds formed because resulting mRNA/pre-mRNA strand in prokaryotes/eukaryotes respectively is single stranded.
Also just to note, RNA polymerase does break the hydrogen bonds in prokaryotes only, it's DNA helicase in eukaryotes.
Original post by Virolite
this is correct but it doesn't reform h bonds, phosphate bonds

can someone confirm this?
I though RNA polymerase helps reform the hydrogen bonds in the DNA strand so it is a double helix again
Original post by MattyB393
RNA polymerase forms the phophodiester bonds between the free-floating RNA nucleotides, there wont be any hydrogen bonds formed because resulting mRNA/pre-mRNA strand in prokaryotes/eukaryotes respectively is single stranded.
Also just to note, RNA polymerase does break the hydrogen bonds in prokaryotes only, it's DNA helicase in eukaryotes.
Tbh im not sure what allows the double helix to reform after transcription, i don't think we have to know that
Original post by GOODluckONexams
I though RNA polymerase helps reform the hydrogen bonds in the DNA strand so it is a double helix again
Reply 75
R this notes for new spec
Original post by samra_sahadh
Thanks, I'll send the link they were posted on TSR. and don't worry about sending anything in return's fine. The booklets are REALLY useful i've used both AS ans A2 and practiced 2 paper 1 papers and got A grades on both really hoping for an A* but i guess maths and practicals are letting me down.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5062288
What you've quoted doesn't actually say that it's RNA polymerase which breaks the H-bonds, just that they're broken.
does anyone have any really hard data application questions for biology, like the xylem one from last year ??
Original post by aliciameyers12
does anyone have any really hard data application questions for biology, like the xylem one from last year ??

Theres loads here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bxfoi5X5Dv2VVjBUSWlUT1VQbEk
can someone PLEASE explain how to do this :frown: The answer is 6 x 10^6Capture.PNG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending