The Student Room Group

If i resit my GCSEs as a private candidate. Will i be able to join a sixth form?

I’m currently thinking about resitting my GCSEs i’ve failed; which is english language, literature, geography or maths- even though i passed but would like to do higher mathematics. Say for example i get grade 7s on all subjects, would sixth forms allow me to join even though i resat them as a private candidate as a soon to be 17 year old?
Original post by spongebobbbbb
I’m currently thinking about resitting my GCSEs i’ve failed; which is english language, literature, geography or maths- even though i passed but would like to do higher mathematics. Say for example i get grade 7s on all subjects, would sixth forms allow me to join even though i resat them as a private candidate as a soon to be 17 year old?

I can't comment on whether 6th forms would accept resits and whether you would be accepted as a 17 year old entrant, but I have to inform you that should you decide to do your exams this summer you would really need to enroll for your exams by the end of next month.
As far as I know, 6th form colleges would allow entrants to be at most 17 years old when first enrolling with them. If you want to enroll at a 6th form college, you need to do all of this very quickly. The deadline for enrolling in exams is this February for a number of exam boards, and the application for 6th form per academic year should soon expire if it hasn't already i.e. get a move on.

The sure way to confirm whether the 6th form college would accept you is if you contact the admissions team at the college. Do this for all the 6th form college tomorrow morning. You can then check whether the deadline for applying to the colleges have passed.

Depending on the college, you shouldn't need more than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 or above. I wouldn't do more GCSEs than necessary for the A Level subjects that you want to do and in order to get into the college.

If you need pointers on how to apply for the GCSEs as a private candidate, let me know.
I am not completely sure whether you can skip the coursework for English Lit and Geography (I think English Language has coursework as well). If you can't then you would need to do a lot of work over the next few months.

If you do the higher paper for maths, you should find it slightly easier to score a 6 or above than if you did the foundation paper.

If all fails, there are other ways of getting into uni if that's something that you want to ultimately do; they just won't be as good.
Original post by spongebobbbbb

If you resit exams as a private candidate then you can still do A levels as long as you have the grade prerequisites.
Original post by MindMax2000
I can't comment on whether 6th forms would accept resits and whether you would be accepted as a 17 year old entrant, but I have to inform you that should you decide to do your exams this summer you would really need to enroll for your exams by the end of next month.
As far as I know, 6th form colleges would allow entrants to be at most 17 years old when first enrolling with them. If you want to enroll at a 6th form college, you need to do all of this very quickly. The deadline for enrolling in exams is this February for a number of exam boards, and the application for 6th form per academic year should soon expire if it hasn't already i.e. get a move on.

The sure way to confirm whether the 6th form college would accept you is if you contact the admissions team at the college. Do this for all the 6th form college tomorrow morning. You can then check whether the deadline for applying to the colleges have passed.

Depending on the college, you shouldn't need more than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 or above. I wouldn't do more GCSEs than necessary for the A Level subjects that you want to do and in order to get into the college.

If you need pointers on how to apply for the GCSEs as a private candidate, let me know.
I am not completely sure whether you can skip the coursework for English Lit and Geography (I think English Language has coursework as well). If you can't then you would need to do a lot of work over the next few months.

If you do the higher paper for maths, you should find it slightly easier to score a 6 or above than if you did the foundation paper.

If all fails, there are other ways of getting into uni if that's something that you want to ultimately do; they just won't be as good.

Hi can you help me. My son is in year 11 currently and doing foundation maths but for the subjects he want he needs to take higher maths. Can he sit as a private candidate for just higher maths at the same time as his normal gcse . Please I don't want him to wait another year.
Original post by zuneramahmood
Hi can you help me. My son is in year 11 currently and doing foundation maths but for the subjects he want he needs to take higher maths. Can he sit as a private candidate for just higher maths at the same time as his normal gcse . Please I don't want him to wait another year.

I am not entirely sure. It would depend on the individual exam board, but it's very likely no because the exam for the foundation paper should be at the same time and day for the higher paper (across all exam boards).

You can enquire this through the school and the relevant exam board.

If it's of a concern, I would recommend that he should start learning the higher tier maths content alongside his other GCSEs (if he has the time e.g. weekends).

Thanks for replying back .School is not ready to help at all .
I'm just thinking as to what to do .

I'm ready to make him sit privately in higher maths and take the risk .

As he plans to do medicine . So getting a grade 6 in maths is the min requirement for all universities.
That's why I want him.to try?

Please can you let me know what options are available for him ?
He s already registered and applied for the sixth form colleges he wants but they are not accepting a grade 5 in maths for A level - chemistry and biology.

If you can help in any way please let me know .any guidance is really appreciated.
Thanks

As he plans to do medicine . So getting a grade 6 in maths is the min requirement for all universities.

He s already registered and applied for the sixth form colleges he wants but they are not accepting a grade 5 in maths for A level - chemistry and biology.

If you can help in any way please let me know .any guidance is really appreciated.
Thanks

If he wants to do medicine, then he would need A Level Chemistry and Biology. A Levels in other subjects are not going to cut it for most universities, unless it's specifically for meeting grade requirements for other subjects.

I would recommend him to sit GCSE Maths at higher level right after June. I think there are November sittings that he can do as a private candidate.
If you want information on how to apply for the exams as a private candidate, then let me know and let me know which exam board he would like to sit (I recommend AQA, but then I am a fan).

It will then depend on whether the college would accept him after November and let him study the A Levels starting in the middle of the year. If they don't, he would need to wait until next September in order to study at college.
Reply 7

Thanks

You can't sit Higher Maths privately as well as taking the Foundation GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest