The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology 8461 - Paper 2 - 7th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hey guys this is the conversation for the second paper!

How did everyone find it today?

It was a decent paper except at the end we had a question about standard deviation and evaluating data with it... Paper 1 was easier but Paper 2 had some nice parts in it too like Water levels, Blood glucose levels. Nothing on evolution so that was good :biggrin:. The brain, the decay practical and the endocrine system didn't come up as a big question which was a shame considering those were favored topics. Although the maths questions I found easy like calculating rates from tangents and finding how much faster 1 rate was from the other, there was population size which also came up last year and I almost forgot to put standard form last year so that stayed with me and got me the extra mark too.
What is this for????
Original post by EliteWhovian
For the last question I said that kids who ate during the day could be able to take in the required nutrients and substances like glucose. Obviously excess glucose is turned into glycogen and stored in liver cells. So I said that those who didn't have any glucose would result in their liver cells not having enough energy (respiration) to produce the enzymes. Because these enzymes which turned stored fat into glucose are not produced, normal body cells like the heart muscle cells won't be able to gain glucose for respiration and thus stop working - hence, heart attack and r.i.p. Basically waffle. That's vaguely what I wrote, including the lychee but I forgot what I wrote for that
for the daisy plants the 5 marker i got 9.0x104 this is because the question said that they changed the required practical as they made improvements and the tick a box question said to repeat the experiment for 10 quadrants
Last question about the starving kids
Original post by Alysia.joy
What is this for????
Original post by angry ape.30
it was 14000

Original post by MAXW303
Can confirm and 26250 for one after that.

14,000 - Correct
26250 - Incorrect, it required standard form so 2.625 * 10^4, you will only lose 1 Mark if you didn't put it in SF.
Last question about the starving kids

Starving kids? What paper did you sit combined or triple?
Original post by Evil Homer
How did it go today guys?!

Terrible
Is this for triple or combined?
Original post by BrandonS15
Starving kids? What paper did you sit combined or triple?

combined... is this a triple forum? oops
did I miss a question :frown:
For the last question I said that kids who ate during the day could be able to take in the required nutrients and substances like glucose. Obviously excess glucose is turned into glycogen and stored in liver cells. So I said that those who didn't have any glucose would result in their liver cells not having enough energy (respiration) to produce the enzymes. Because these enzymes which turned stored fat into glucose are not produced, normal body cells like the heart muscle cells won't be able to gain glucose for respiration and thus stop working - hence, heart attack and r.i.p. Basically waffle. That's vaguely what I wrote, including the lychee but I forgot what I wrote for that
Original post by Alysia.joy
Anyone else find that so so hard?

It was much harder than p1
I got 14,000 on one of them, 2.625 * 10^4 for the population one. Double helix structure, 3 amino acids, chromosomes was another answer, 3.78 (3.8) for the rates increase one (drew two tangents at each point calculated the rate at each using delta Y/ delta X and then divided the larger by the smaller and found a multiplier). Standard deviation one I got like the lowest one 15 or something? Pituitary gland, ADH were two tick boxes. The ADH question and blood glucose ones were basic. Primary consumer for the first question. I'll post if I remember anything else
Original post by anikamehra7
did I miss a question :frown:

Theyre talking bout combined or foundation
reading the replies is making me so depressed, i messed up on so much of that :") oh well, i aint doing it for a level
If it the one about kidney transplant I put that the transplant will be able to filter ions and also control glucose levels so the person will be able to eat what they want but I kinda winged it
Original post by user3144
Please can someone tell me what u put for all of the questions on the kidney!Also what the hell was the last question
(edited 4 years ago)
I can’t believe I mixed up the glucoregulation question😭but I’ve defiantly got the eye right
Last one good. Overlapped for 30 minutes after for every single one for metamin and metamin +a and metamin +b . Didn’t overlap for metamin and metamin +a for 3 hours so this was significant difference is mean so results valid . Overall invalid statement
Actually in my following post I stated in standard form and I got 35 for maths yesterday like you, which is wrong it was 23.

Original post by BrandonS15
14,000 - Correct
26250 - Incorrect, it required standard form so 2.625 * 10^4, you will only lose 1 Mark if you didn't put it in SF.
Didnt it say no overlap was significant so u didnt need it

Original post by MAXW303
Last one good. Overlapped for 30 minutes after for every single one for metamin and metamin +a and metamin +b . Didn’t overlap for metamin and metamin +a for 3 hours so this was significant difference is mean so results valid . Overall invalid statement
Yes no overlap was significant, so only significant for the 3 hours and metamin +a one , so 1/4 were significance as one didn’t overlap.
Original post by Yungbabyoldman
Didnt it say no overlap was significant so u didnt need it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending