The Student Room Group

WJEC Chemistry Unit 3 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAJS234
Mg3Ca(CO3)4 would be empirical formula so if you wrote that its right

no I wrote Mg3Ca, completely missed out (CO3)4
I was in a rush to finish the paper by this point, misread the question I guess. So annoying as I would've gotten that
Original post by fio.rella.
I was in a rush to finish the paper by this point, misread the question I guess. So annoying as I would've gotten that

no worries at all vast majority of people did terribly most people in my school didn't even attempt the question
Original post by msproject
no worries at all vast majority of people did terribly most people in my school didn't even attempt the question

Ahh oh well, hopefully I'll pickup at least 1 mark for getting that far ahaha
Most people from my school thought it was a really tough paper
I'm gonna be honest that paper was not made to pick out people who didn't revise as much it was to advantage people who are ultra smart and I'm not one of them, the grade boundary is probably gonna be the lowest for this specification.
Ahh oh well, hopefully I'll pickup at least 1 mark for getting that far ahaha
Most people from my school thought it was a really tough paper
I'm gonna be honest that paper was not made to pick out people who didn't revise as much it was to advantage people who are ultra smart and I'm not one of them, the grade boundary is probably gonna be the lowest for this specification.

I'm hoping for low grade boundaries!
Reply 25

Oh unlucky
Original post by cofio
Thought it got harder as I went through - better than when I did it last year but then perhaps resitting year 13 means I learnt more lol. Got a copy of the paper from my teacher today and the answers I get now are these ones - I'd say these are the ones I got in the exam but that's prob a lie - some seem familiar but others not.
Lattice energy question:Atomisation energy 121 (half the turning Cl2 into 2Cl)
Enthalpy of formation -2222 (I do remember getting that - a memorable number!)
Ionisation energy about 1200 - over half the energy to remove 2 electrons cos the ionisation energy for the second is bigger than the first
.Calcium chloride question 164 and x is 4
Arrhenius - after getting four different answers I got 346 twice in a row so I think that's right.
pH of ethanoic acid 3
Concentration of oxalis acid 0.16 mol dm-3
Huntite was just an empirical formula question using odd units so got a ratio of 1 Ca to 3 Mg so CaMg3 would need 4 carbonates to balance charge.
pH of dichromate I got 5.8. Looking at it now I can see that the bit about concentration of water being 55.5 is used here but didn't do that yesterday.
Got a C last year so fingers crossed for A at least this year.

dang. i know i screwed up the pH of dichromate on the last page bc i got 8.something ... and i forgot to add the carbonates onto CaMg3 😐 also screwed up the ionisation energy and atomisation energy bc i forgot to half it 🙄😣 the rest i think (???) i got right give or take (let’s not talk about huntite) but honestly it was probably the worst paper i’ve ever sat! and i need an A for university 😭😭
Original post by regionalatbestt
dang. i know i screwed up the pH of dichromate on the last page bc i got 8.something ... and i forgot to add the carbonates onto CaMg3 😐 also screwed up the ionisation energy and atomisation energy bc i forgot to half it 🙄😣 the rest i think (???) i got right give or take (let’s not talk about huntite) but honestly it was probably the worst paper i’ve ever sat! and i need an A for university 😭😭

We've still got unit 4 left don't worry! and hopefully the prac and AS grades make up for it!
But yea quite a tricky paper
I have created a thread for the Unit 4 Paper here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5996036
Reply 29
Results tomorrow guys how are we feeling??
I got an A for AS last year (a pretty low A) but I found both of the exams OK, I really hope to get an A just to stick it to my teachers who predicted me lower 🤣
Original post by evaans
Results tomorrow guys how are we feeling??
I got an A for AS last year (a pretty low A) but I found both of the exams OK, I really hope to get an A just to stick it to my teachers who predicted me lower 🤣

Unit 4 was alright but Unit 3 went terribly :frown: I'm literally hoping I at least got a C.
Jesus christ the grade boundaries, didn't drop at all! somehow got a C expected a U, how did you guys do?
wjec really outdid themselves on the chemistry papers, absolutely dreadful. Bet the gcse grade boundaries won't drop either
Original post by mpaprika
wjec really outdid themselves on the chemistry papers, absolutely dreadful. Bet the gcse grade boundaries won't drop either

It was awful but thank god it’s over
Jesus christ the grade boundaries, didn't drop at all! somehow got a C expected a U, how did you guys do?

Ahh well done! I fully thought I’d get an E or something.
Got an A in the end, my teacher suggested I sent it off for a remark to try bump it up to an A* but I’m not sure if it’s worth it...don’t want it to somehow go down
Reply 35

I scraped an A. Thank god, but my biology dropped... weird grade boundaries this year
Do you, or do you know of anyone, who may have a copy of the paper?
Most of us are in Uni now and papers dont get released for a while so its unlikely any of us have it. You could ask your teacher to access the secure site and see if you can get it from there.
Most of us are in Uni now and papers dont get released for a while so its unlikely any of us have it. You could ask your teacher to access the secure site and see if you can get it from there.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try what you suggest.
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending