The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nick_the_big
im from cyprus and i was wondering if 2 mathematics A-Level with grade A ,
ECDL and the apolytirion with overall grade 19.5 are enough to enter UCL or Imperial for an IT or Engineering course.

cheers!

Why not ask them?
Reply 2
Unfortunately i'm pretty sure they would require 3 a levels, but no harm in asking.
Reply 3
i've asked and they require 3 a levels. but i know that this isnt stereotype. i mean , there are cases that they accepted people with 2 a levels by doing them some offers.

Im just wondering if someone know something more...
Coz its your country(most of the members are from Uk), i thought u may be more informed.
Reply 4
nick_the_big
i've asked and they require 3 a levels. but i know that this isnt stereotype. i mean , there are cases that they accepted people with 2 a levels by doing them some offers.

Im just wondering if someone know something more...
Coz its your country(most of the members are from Uk), i thought u may be more informed.

Well, yes. But then you also have the problem that many people in this country aren't clued up about Cypriot education.

I can't imagine them giving the ECDL that much weighting, certainly not as the equivalent of an A-level.

The Apolytirion I only know of through classics. Many others in this country will know even less about it. Isn't it just basic all round school education?

You will get people in this country, mature students with extensive work experience, getting onto the degrees with possibly no A-levels at all. These are exceptions - they have work experience and other qualifications.

That's not appilcable to you though. You've asked the universities and they said you need three A-levels? Then you need three. They wouldn't tell you a lie.
Reply 5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apolytirion suggests that it's an acceptable qualification. What exactly have the unis said to you?
Reply 6
In wikipedia it says that an Apolytirion with high grade can be counted as Alevel.

But the unis told me that they wanted 3 A - levels plus the apolytirion with grade 19.5 out of 20.

So im a bit confused.
It means you need 3 A-levels then, simple as that.
Reply 8
nick_the_big
In wikipedia it says that an Apolytirion with high grade can be counted as Alevel.

But the unis told me that they wanted 3 A - levels plus the apolytirion with grade 19.5 out of 20.

So im a bit confused.

So you need 3 A-levels. Ultimately they are the ones that make their own entrance requirements.
Reply 9
hmm. . .
i suppose u are right
UCL you need quite high grades to get into and over here we would need about 3 A's to get in, so I doubt they will offer you aplace with just 2 I'm afraid =\

How about trying a uni which doesnt have such harsh grade boundaries? Try somewhere that maybe requires CCC, BCC etc.

Places that will definitely accept you are UEL, london metropolitan, anglia ruskin? These are places that arent considered to be brilliant universities are the only place you will definitely get in, sorry :[ But if you want to go to a more reputable university I would recommend going onto the UCAS website and search the course you are looking for and browse through the universities that have a less strict grade boundary.
Reply 11
xenodocheionology

Places that will definitely accept you are UEL, london metropolitan, anglia ruskin? These are places that arent considered to be brilliant universities are the only place you will definitely get in, sorry :[ But if you want to go to a more reputable university I would recommend going onto the UCAS website and search the course you are looking for and browse through the universities that have a less strict grade boundary.

You cannot say that ANY university will "definately accept" someone, especially just because they are an ex-poly. Chances are they will be no more likely to accept someone with less than three A-levels than UCL or Imperial. You'd be hard pushed to find any engineering or IT course that you can get onto with only two A-levels.

I'm sure if the OP does the extra A-level then he will be in a fairly strong position to apply to UCL or Imperial.
River85
You cannot say that ANY university will "definately accept" someone, especially just because they are an ex-poly. Chances are they will be no more likely to accept someone with less than three A-levels than UCL or Imperial. You'd be hard pushed to find any engineering or IT course that you can get onto with only two A-levels.

I'm sure if the OP does the extra A-level then he will be in a fairly strong position to apply to UCL or Imperial.

I'm sure there are loads of courses the OP can get onto - unis that give out points offers, "from a minimum of 2 A2 subjects"- he could apply anywhere whose points offers are 240 UCAS points or below, or even higher, if they acknowledge his Greek qualification.
Reply 13
Greatleysteg
I'm sure there are loads of courses the OP can get onto - unis that give out points offers, "from a minimum of 2 A2 subjects"- he could apply anywhere whose points offers are 240 UCAS points or below, or even higher, if they acknowledge his Greek qualification.

There'll be a few I am not denying that.

However when you're looking at doing any degree, especially one as solid and demanding as engineering, you don't just choose a uni as they are the only ones to accept you. It's not a wise method of choosing universities. For a start it's a good idea to make sure that the course is accredited by professional bodies, many will not be.

I've seen an engineering course at Sheffield Hallam that only asks for CC. It doesn't mean to say it's worth doing.
Oh no I didn't mean it like that, I was just saying those are ones I've had personal experiences with in this situation. My boyfriend didn't really bother at all with his A levels as he didnt want to go to uni at the time and ended up with a C and a D and these are the unis that gave him unconditional offer anyway..
Reply 15
Can you not sit an A-level in a subject you've done for the Apolytirion - Physics or something? You won't need to learn much if anything new, and you'll get your third A-level.
Reply 16
rkd
Can you not sit an A-level in a subject you've done for the Apolytirion - Physics or something? You won't need to learn much if anything new, and you'll get your third A-level.

the curriculum its not exactly the same. some units are the same some others arent. . .
Reply 17
You could try Queen Mary. Their tariff for Engineering is 260-340 points. They might make you an offer.
xenodocheionology
UCL you need quite high grades to get into and over here we would need about 3 A's to get in, so I doubt they will offer you aplace with just 2 I'm afraid =\

How about trying a uni which doesnt have such harsh grade boundaries? Try somewhere that maybe requires CCC, BCC etc.

instead of UEL, lon met or anglia ruskin just don't do a degree. Waste of time and money
Reply 19
nick_the_big
the curriculum its not exactly the same. some units are the same some others arent. . .

Then use a whole year to study the remaining units - if you can get 2 A's in Maths you would likely get A in Physics also.

Anyway the ucas process takes a whole year - in which you can study Physics (perhaps 1 more A-level also)

Why not?

Latest

Trending

Trending