The Student Room Group

maths

The diagram shows two rectangles. The total area of the compound shape ABCDEF is 36cm^2.

By considering the areas of the two rectangles, show that 2x^2-5x-18=0 and hence find the value of the length AB.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is the diagram
Reply 2
Original post by hugjai
This is the diagram

Form your equation by reading the question, find the area of each shape individually, for example if i had a rectangle with sides x and x+2, the area A=x(x+2). Be careful with the length of EF, it is not 2x. This is a common mistake. If you are having any trouble just show me what you have done so far!
Find the area of each rectangle individually. Add the two expressions and put them equal to 36. Halve the lot and you'll see what to do next
Reply 4
Original post by Beerstaff
Find the area of each rectangle individually. Add the two expressions and put them equal to 36. Halve the lot and you'll see what to do next

I've found the area of the rectangles and added them to equate it to 36. I got 4x^2 - 10x = 36. But what do you mean by halve the lot? Am I supposed to take the 36 over and equate it to 0 (4x^2 - 10x - 36 = 0) and then factorise it?
Reply 5
Original post by Azim Patel
Form your equation by reading the question, find the area of each shape individually, for example if i had a rectangle with sides x and x+2, the area A=x(x+2). Be careful with the length of EF, it is not 2x. This is a common mistake. If you are having any trouble just show me what you have done so far!

This is what I've done so far

area of the big rectangle: 2x + x = 3x
3x ( x - 2 ) = 3x^2 - 6x

area of the small rectangle: x ( x - 4) = x^2 - 4x

I added them together: 3x^2 - 6x + x^2 - 4x = 4x^2 -10x

then equate them to 36: 4x^2 -10x = 36

Then I took the 36 to the left side of the equation and equate it to 0: 4x^2 -10x - 36 = 0

Then I factorised it: -36 * 4 = -144 -10

8 * -18 = -144
8 - 18 = -10

4x^2 + 8x - 18x -36 = 0

4x ( x +2) -18 ( x +2 )

4x - 18 = 0 x + 2 = 0
4x = 18 x = -2
x= 18/4

This is where that I'm stuck, the answer is not 18/4 or -2

I got 2 marks for doing just that, however, I don't know what else to do to get 6 marks

Am I suppose to work out the equation 2x^2-5x-18=0? If so, I got x = 9/2 and x = -2
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hugjai

3x ( x - 2 ) = 3x^2 - 6x

Then I took the 36 to the left side of the equation and equate it to 0: 4x^2 -10x - 36 = 0

I got 2 marks for doing just that, however, I don't know what else to do to get 6 marks

Am I suppose to work out the equation 2x^2-5x-18=0? If so, I got x = 9/2 and x = -2

If you halve the equation you found you get the right one.

How could you simplify your answer 18/4?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79

Your equation is correct 4x^2 -10x -36=0, just divide throughout by 2, since you want to get 2x^2 -5, -18=0, x=18/4 is correct, maybe the mark scheme says 9/2 or 4.5 but these are all equivalent
Original post by hugjai

3x ( x - 2 ) = 3x^2 - 6x

Then I factorised it: -36 * 4 = -144 -10

8 * -18 = -144
8 - 18 = -10

4x^2 + 8x - 18x -36 = 0

4x ( x +2) -18 ( x +2 )

4x - 18 = 0 x + 2 = 0
4x = 18 x = -2
x= 18/4

This is where that I'm stuck, the answer is not 18/4 or -2

Original post by Azim Patel

Why did you quote me?I know the equation is correct - I am waiting for the OP to return.
Reply 9
Why did you quote me?I know the equation is correct - I am waiting for the OP to return.

Mistake, sorry bro
Reply 10

You divide the numerator and denominator by 2 to get 9/2
Original post by hugjai
You divide the numerator and denominator by 2 to get 9/2

have you got all the marks now? Is this Mathswatch?
have you got all the marks now? Is this Mathswatch?

It is indeed, I did that question a few days ago
Original post by sqrt of 5

Terrible isn't it?!'ve helped so many people try to get all the marks when they are correct because it's looking for specific words or format ...
Terrible isn't it?!'ve helped so many people try to get all the marks when they are correct because it's looking for specific words or format ...

I know right! I remember last week I couldn't get full marks to a question because I wrote x 3 instead of x3 lol
Yep, you've done it correctly. Bring the 36 over to make =0 on the right Hand- side. Then halve everything to make the equation in the form that the question wanted. Explicitly 2x^2-5x-18=0Then factorise and solve as you did to make -2 and 4.5The answer must be 4.5 as you can't have a negative length.
Reply 16
Original post by sqrt of 5

Did you get the full marks? It's only giving me 3 marks instead of 6 and I don't know what to do to get the full marks.
Original post by hugjai
Did you get the full marks? It's only giving me 3 marks instead of 6 and I don't know what to do to get the full marks.

No ;(
I put AB= 4.5cm but it still doesn't seem to accept it
the answer should be 2

Quick Reply

Latest