The Student Room Group

Molar ratio - titrations

Hi, I need help with understanding the molar ratio for titrations when there are two steps involved ie two equationsimage.jpg * the last part when it says 1 mol cu2+ is equivalent to 1 mol S2O3^2- .... I don’t get how can someone explain it please. Thanks in advance !
(edited 4 years ago)
In the first equation, you use two moles of Cu(2+) to get one mole of I2. Then in the second equation, you react two moles of S2O3(2-) with that same one mole of I2 that formed.

Hence, in the overall reaction, the ratio Cu(2+) : I2 : S2O3(2-) is 2:1:2 so you can see that Cu(2+) and S2O3(2-) are in equimolar amounts. This is tricky to get your head around initially I admit!
Reply 2
Original post by LukeFranks0298
In the first equation, you use two moles of Cu(2+) to get one mole of I2. Then in the second equation, you react two moles of S2O3(2-) with that same one mole of I2 that formed.

Hence, in the overall reaction, the ratio Cu(2+) : I2 : S2O3(2-) is 2:1:2 so you can see that Cu(2+) and S2O3(2-) are in equimolar amounts. This is tricky to get your head around initially I admit!

Okayyy so since cu2+ and S2O3(2-) react in equal amounts its the same as a 1:1 ratio hence why it says 1 mol of cu2+ is equivalent to 1 mol of S2O3(2-) ?

I'm kind've starting to get it - I guess I just have to go over it again. Thank you:smile:
Original post by Sidd1
Okayyy so since cu2+ and S2O3(2-) react in equal amounts its the same as a 1:1 ratio hence why it says 1 mol of cu2+ is equivalent to 1 mol of S2O3(2-) ?

I'm kind've starting to get it - I guess I just have to go over it again. Thank you:smile:

Yes that's right. No problem :smile: stick with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending