The Student Room Group

Moment & Equilibrium

Scroll to see replies

So it looks like youve got everything about right, apart from at the end when you discard the wrong, "impossible" solution.
You got the ms answer.
Reply 41
Original post by mqb2766
You do realize that your 20+10sqrt(2) is longer than the 10 base which is obviously physically impossible as you can't remove what doesn't exist.
Will look through the numbers now.

I get that we have a restriction that the square base must be of 10 size. Therefore, x = 20 - 10√2. But what are you trying to imply when you say that:
"you can't remove what doesn't exist."

Apart from that, I totally understand what you are saying and have arrived at the right answer.
Original post by Tesla3
I get that we have a restriction that the square base must be of 10 size. Therefore, x = 20 - 10√2. But what are you trying to imply when you say that:
"you can't remove what doesn't exist."

Apart from that, I totally understand what you are saying and have arrived at the right answer.

x is the amount you're removing from the base. You're trying to remove a length of 34 from a base of length 10. I can't see how you'd do that?
20-10sqrt(2) ~ 6 which sounds plausible. Simple geometry for balancing a rectangle area (right) and a trapezium area (left) would show that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by mqb2766
x is the amount you're removing from the base. You're trying to remove a length of 34 from a base of length 10. I can't see how you'd do that?
20-10sqrt(2) ~ 6 which sounds plausible. Simple geometry for balancing a rectangle area (right) and a trapezium area (left) would show that.

Thanks for your time, It means the world to me. I wish there were more people like you. God bless you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest