The Student Room Group

Reaction Products

Hello,

Consider all of the structural isomers of C4H9Br and the ways that they could react with hydroxide ions from aqueous sodium hydroxide.
How many different organic products (including all structural and E/Z isomers only) containing four carbons could be made?
A4 B5 C6 D7 E8 F9

There are 4 structural isomers for C4H9Br, so why isn't the different products 4 (answer is 8)?

Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by freestyler01
Hello,

Consider all of the structural isomers of C4H9Br and the ways that they could react with hydroxide ions from aqueous sodium hydroxide.
How many different organic products (including all structural and E/Z isomers only) containing four carbons could be made?
A4 B5 C6 D7 E8 F9

There are 4 structural isomers for C4H9Br, so why isn't the different products 4 (answer is 8)?

Thank you.

NaOH can cause both substitution and elimination in alcohols ... the clue is in the E/Z instruction.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
NaOH can cause both substitution and elimination in alcohols ... the clue is in the E/Z instruction.

in the question doesnt it say its aqueous. if it eliminates, doesnt it have to alcoholic
Reply 3
Original post by hypez
in the question doesnt it say its aqueous. if it eliminates, doesnt it have to alcoholic

That's what i thought, bad question. i guess the clue is in ''consider ... the ways that they could react with hydroxide ions from aqueous sodium hydroxide'' which suggests there's more than one way, i.e. substitution & elim.

Quick Reply

Latest