The Student Room Group

Mathematical Finance Masters

I am looking to get into quantitative finance. I have applied for Mathematics, and will go to either Cambridge (if I get and meet my offer) or Warwick. I am currently working during a gap year, and hope to have 20k in savings by the end of the year. If I can work during uni, I am hoping to save up to 35k (after undergraduate uni expenses - around £9k total after loans), which combined with a 10k masters loan allows me to do a Msc in Mathematical Finance (or similar) at a top uni.

I have to plan far ahead as I will not be able to afford the masters if I spend my savings elsewhere, as my parents are unable to financially assist me. If I break into the industry before a Msc, then I see virtually no use of it.

My question is this - Is the Msc good enough to provide a strong chance of getting into a quantitative finance role? It is a lot of money, but I’m sure it would be a worthy investment if it gives the edge needed to break into the industry. However, the opportunity cost is having more free time to build up skills at undergrad (less time working —> more time for experience/learning) and having less money to spend on things that may be beneficial towards my degree (like a tablet/ipad).

Any advice would be very much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by crashcody
I am looking to get into quantitative finance. I have applied for Mathematics, and will go to either Cambridge (if I get and meet my offer) or Warwick. I am currently working during a gap year, and hope to have 20k in savings by the end of the year. If I can work during uni, I am hoping to save up to 35k (after undergraduate uni expenses - around £9k total after loans), which combined with a 10k masters loan allows me to do a Msc in Mathematical Finance (or similar) at a top uni.

I have to plan far ahead as I will not be able to afford the masters if I spend my savings elsewhere, as my parents are unable to financially assist me. If I break into the industry before a Msc, then I see virtually no use of it.

My question is this - Is the Msc good enough to provide a strong chance of getting into a quantitative finance role? It is a lot of money, but I’m sure it would be a worthy investment if it gives the edge needed to break into the industry. However, the opportunity cost is having more free time to build up skills at undergrad (less time working —> more time for experience/learning) and having less money to spend on things that may be beneficial towards my degree (like a tablet/ipad).

Whether it's enough I can't say, but what I can say is I work in GBM at Goldman Sachs and all of our quantitative strats have minimum masters, probably 40% of them have PhDs, all in mathematics / some form of maths with econ / some form of engineering.

So I would certainly say it's necessary if you want to be a quant in a top firm
Original post by crashcody

Hi, i am currently in y13 and deciding whether or not to take a gap year before a maths degree at Warwick. Just wondered how you found a gap year before your maths degree and whether it was really difficult after a year out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending