The Student Room Group

Best degree to be quant analyst

I have taken maths, cs, econ and an epq….wondering what the best bsc for me would be to become a qunt analyst? Maths would be out of the question as I don’t do fm…would a bsc in statistics or statistics economics and finance be enough before I pursue a masters in a field more relevant to becoming a quant? What would this masters course be?
Reply 1
anything stem orientated

quant analysts are just numbers people who can code a bit *and know some finance

solid science degrees (maths, engineering, physics) are probably the most prevalent. statistics would be okay, economics is sort of ~meh unless you do econometrics and mathematical economics - better to do a science and study some a couple of finance modules over the course of your degree (that's usually allowed) imo
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
anything stem orientated

quant analysts are just numbers people who can code a bit *and know some finance

solid science degrees (maths, engineering, physics) are probably the most prevalent. statistics would be okay, economics is sort of ~meh unless you do econometrics and mathematical economics - better to do a science and study some a couple of finance modules over the course of your degree (that's usually allowed) imo

Thanks for the reply….unfortunately I don’t take a science so I guess statistics it is then!
Original post by hi370762
Thanks for the reply….unfortunately I don’t take a science so I guess statistics it is then!

Practically a PhD in CS, maths, physics, stats (maybe engineering), something like that. Maybe a masters might cut it. An undergrad alone is unlikely to be sufficient to become a quant.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Practically a PhD in CS, maths, physics, stats (maybe engineering), something like that. Maybe a masters might cut it. An undergrad alone is unlikely to be sufficient to become a quant.

Oh I understand a masters at minimum is necessary…just contemplating my options for bsc as I can’t take physics, engineering or any courses that require fm
Reply 5
Any good bsc I could do without physics or further maths to eventually become a quant or if not then an actuary?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6

then your best route is stats and job experience/networking (in your first job to make quant your second (if necessary))
Any good bsc I could do without physics or further maths to eventually become a quant or if not then an actuary?

To be bluntly honest I think you might struggle. Both are HIGHLY mathematical professions that require a very mathematical degree to go with them. I'm taking straight economics in one of the most quantitative courses in the country (Bath) and I don't think I'd have a hope of going into actuarial work. Bearing in mind I worked in an insurance company for 3 summers so I saw some of the maths the actuaries were doing. Light reading for them was academic papers on using neural networks for pricing calculations! You could do it through networking and work experience though; as with many jobs, it's possible to start out somewhere else and work your way into it.
If you're really serious about becoming a quant/actuary it might be worth thinking about taking a gap year and getting a further maths A level. That would certainly make the route easier and you could probably find some good experience over the course of the year (internships etc.) to bolster a university application into a more mathematical degree
I have taken maths, cs, econ and an epq….wondering what the best bsc for me would be to become a qunt analyst? Maths would be out of the question as I don’t do fm…would a bsc in statistics or statistics economics and finance be enough before I pursue a masters in a field more relevant to becoming a quant? What would this masters course be?

Target school should be your first concern.
Quant is quite competitive. I do Econ at a target and I got rejected from Jane Street within a few days of applying for their summer internship - word goes that top quant firms only hire maths students from the TOP unis (Oxbridge, Imperial)

Think your best bet is defo either Maths or Computer Science.

Or do a BSc in Maths + Econ, or something like that, then try and do a Masters in Math at a target.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending