The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Describe how the structure of llama haemoglobin is likely to be different from that of camel haemoglobin with reference to the four levels of protein structure
Reply 41
Original post by LOST_CASEXOXO
Describe how the structure of llama haemoglobin is likely to be different from that of camel haemoglobin with reference to the four levels of protein structure

llama hemoglobin would have a higher affinity for oxygen since they live in higher mountain areas where oxygen levels are low so Fe2+ needs to bind to oxygen more easily. the amino acid sequence held by peptide bonds is different because it codes for a polypeptide chain that has a shape that can easily bind to oxygen so it will lead to a different primary structure. a different primary structure means a different secondary structure so the hydrogen bonds between amino acids is different so it will fold into a different alpha helix or beta pleated sheet. the tertiary stucture will be different as ionic bonds, hydrogen bonds and hydrphobic/hydrophilic interactions will be between different R-groups so the overall 3D shape of the hemoglobin will be different. the Quaternary structure will be the same as hemoglobin will still be made up of 2 alpha and 2 beta subunits and 4 haem groups.
Are we just meant to know that llama's live in mountain areas?? You learn something new every day
Original post by Infinxty09
Are we just meant to know that llama's live in mountain areas?? You learn something new every day

I think I did this question before and I vaguely remember a graph showing that llamas have a higher affinity so I don’t think we need to know that
Original post by Neymarswho1730
I think I did this question before and I vaguely remember a graph showing that llamas have a higher affinity so I don’t think we need to know that

Ok good, thank you. That's one worry less at least
Reply 45
Is anyone else dreading this exam :woo:
Guilty.
Original post by Lizzie3232
Reply 47
Original post by Lizzie3232

Have 2 before this one so I don't even think about bio 😭
Original post by aaccdd
llama hemoglobin would have a higher affinity for oxygen since they live in higher mountain areas where oxygen levels are low so Fe2+ needs to bind to oxygen more easily. the amino acid sequence held by peptide bonds is different because it codes for a polypeptide chain that has a shape that can easily bind to oxygen so it will lead to a different primary structure. a different primary structure means a different secondary structure so the hydrogen bonds between amino acids is different so it will fold into a different alpha helix or beta pleated sheet. the tertiary stucture will be different as ionic bonds, hydrogen bonds and hydrphobic/hydrophilic interactions will be between different R-groups so the overall 3D shape of the hemoglobin will be different. the Quaternary structure will be the same as hemoglobin will still be made up of 2 alpha and 2 beta subunits and 4 haem groups.

Hi thankyou
There is no other context before this question for this question.
So im guessing im just supposed to know that llama live in mountain areas?
EDIT: My bad it does say something like that further down the question in part b - QEY TIP READ THE WHOLE QUESTION (even if it has up to z parts :smile:)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 49
Original post by LOST_CASEXOXO
Hi thankyou
There is no other context before this question for this question.
So im guessing im just supposed to know that llama live in mountain areas?
EDIT: My bad it does say something like that further down the question in part b - QEY TIP READ THE WHOLE QUESTION (even if it has up to z parts :smile:)

lol I knew the mountain thing because I've done this question before. Very glad that we're not expected to know that :u:
Reply 50
how r people going about memorising the recall based content (i know most of it is ) but like all of the different steps for photosynthesis, respiration, neuronal communication - i cant seem to remember it no matter how many times i go over it !
has anyone got predictions for topics
Reply 52
is it possible to go from a D to B in 3 weeks if I go through the textbook in detail and memories all the content?
Original post by mo05
is it possible to go from a D to B in 3 weeks if I go through the textbook in detail and memories all the content?

textbook will probably get u a strong c, so use it as an aid but best bet is practicing exam questions and doing past papers imo
(edited 11 months ago)
if I spam past papers do u guys reckon I can get a B? im currently on a D. I know the basics of most topics but not in detail
Original post by $of1a
how r people going about memorising the recall based content (i know most of it is ) but like all of the different steps for photosynthesis, respiration, neuronal communication - i cant seem to remember it no matter how many times i go over it !

even though you have said you have gone over it many times, the best method is to keep going over it step by step until you know it by heart. what i did was i used to write them out/draw it over and over again until i knew all the steps. its a long process which should have been started but its never to late!
guys im panicking as i havent started bio content yet and wont be able to start it until like friday........
if i cram the content and bang out past papers is it possible to secure an A?

also . manipulating genomes is so hard . does it come up a lot. will it likely come up this year?
Reply 57
Original post by OCRs biggest opp
guys im panicking as i havent started bio content yet and wont be able to start it until like friday........
if i cram the content and bang out past papers is it possible to secure an A?

also . manipulating genomes is so hard . does it come up a lot. will it likely come up this year?

kind of in the same situation as you tbh but being realistic I don't think its possible to get an A maybe a C/B but thats what I think. how much of the content are you confident with already?
Original post by mo05
kind of in the same situation as you tbh but being realistic I don't think its possible to get an A maybe a C/B but thats what I think. how much of the content are you confident with already?

last time i knew the content, i was pretty confident with paper 1 topics (except plant hormones. never plant hormones) so im thinking i could get away with little revision for paper 1. paper 2 is the issue, im fine with ecology but genetics is the worst. and ive never done a paper 3 so..... but usually in all my tests i never know practicals, this time i actually have flashcards on practicals so maybe if i know the pags i'd feel better. IDK.
I don’t know what to do. I can’t understand the stuff around the sliding filament hypothesis.

Latest

Trending

Trending