The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Im ****ed
Reply 61
Original post by JA03
I don’t know what to do. I can’t understand the stuff around the sliding filament hypothesis.

There was a question on it last year so hopefully it won't come up this time :s-smilie:
Original post by bebe1108
There was a question on it last year so hopefully it won't come up this time :s-smilie:

just a warning but dont have that mentality - every topic will get tested in some way or another either mcq, short answered questions or long answered questions so just revise everything
Original post by JA03
I don’t know what to do. I can’t understand the stuff around the sliding filament hypothesis.

what exactly are you struggling on?
Original post by bebe1108

O. You’re so helpful.
Original post by lol2468
what exactly are you struggling on?

The stuff about the ACTUAL sliding filament. All I know is that myosin binds and unbinds to actin, moving further along the filament. I know nothing else.
Reply 66
Original post by vesq
Im ****ed

don’t catastrophize. you’ve got about 2 weeks, I would say focus on active recall (blurting, flash cards) and memorising mark scheme and you’ve honestly got this.
ocr made physics reaaalllyyyyyy hard

its not looking good guys. its not looking good.
Reply 68
Original post by OCRs biggest opp
ocr made physics reaaalllyyyyyy hard

its not looking good guys. its not looking good.

anyone have any mnuemonics to remember things such as King Phillip Can Order For Good Soup and others ?
Reply 69
i honestly gave up on biology ages ago ive only ever got two grades on every test ive ever done and they've been Es. there is literally no way of passing this a level bc at this point i'd have to learn 2 years of content in a few weeks. fml
Reply 70
So I looked at papers from 2017 to 2022 and I have made a document that contains all of the major topics that came up. I only focused on Section B, as that is literally 85% of the entire paper. I have also added the prediction topics made by Primrose Kitten. Yes, I bought paper 1 only to experiment, just to see if her predictions are accurate because so many people are saying they are good and some say that they are dead. Anyway, I'm going to drop the link to the document below. Just remember to focus on everything, especially topics like action potential and excretion because there will always be a question about identifying the structure from the insert. You can use this website to get exam questions. These questions are from Save My Exams but there are model answers as well so you don't have to waste time finding the question online or buy the £25 subscription:
https://chemistryonlinetuition.com/ocr-a-level-biology-topic-questions/

The link to the document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11KaMWppCA0RTdBy_TUJj7obqzOhzT9iIlbUWnZS9ys4/edit?usp=sharing

Anyways happy revising
Reply 71
Original post by JA03
The stuff about the ACTUAL sliding filament. All I know is that myosin binds and unbinds to actin, moving further along the filament. I know nothing else.

youre right about the binding and unbinding, just needs more detail. so calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum will bind to troponin and cause a conformational change which disrupts the tropomyosin and actin complex in order to expose the biding site on the actin. the myosin head will attach to the binding site on the actin fillament which results in an actin-myosin crossbridge. the myosin head then flexes which moves the actin fillamen along and whilst doing this, a molecule of ADP is released. ATP will now attach to the myosin head causing myosin head to detach from the actin fillamet. the ATP will then be hydrolysed into ADP + Pi to provide energy for the mysoin head to return to its original position after detaching. Now, the myosin head can bind to another actin binding site, further along the fillament and this process is repeated
Original post by aaccdd
youre right about the binding and unbinding, just needs more detail. so calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum will bind to troponin and cause a conformational change which disrupts the tropomyosin and actin complex in order to expose the biding site on the actin. the myosin head will attach to the binding site on the actin fillament which results in an actin-myosin crossbridge. the myosin head then flexes which moves the actin fillamen along and whilst doing this, a molecule of ADP is released. ATP will now attach to the myosin head causing myosin head to detach from the actin fillamet. the ATP will then be hydrolysed into ADP + Pi to provide energy for the mysoin head to return to its original position after detaching. Now, the myosin head can bind to another actin binding site, further along the fillament and this process is repeated

Are you predicted an A* or smthn?
Reply 73
Original post by JA03
Are you predicted an A* or smthn?

nah i just like mod 5
Original post by aaccdd
nah i just like mod 5

That’s fair. I do too, except animal responses. That’s the bane of my existence.
Reply 75
I hate neuronal communication, especially the synapse, theres so much to remember. fml
Original post by DS13990609
So I looked at papers from 2017 to 2022 and I have made a document that contains all of the major topics that came up. I only focused on Section B, as that is literally 85% of the entire paper. I have also added the prediction topics made by Primrose Kitten. Yes, I bought paper 1 only to experiment, just to see if her predictions are accurate because so many people are saying they are good and some say that they are dead. Anyway, I'm going to drop the link to the document below. Just remember to focus on everything, especially topics like action potential and excretion because there will always be a question about identifying the structure from the insert. You can use this website to get exam questions. These questions are from Save My Exams but there are model answers as well so you don't have to waste time finding the question online or buy the £25 subscription:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11KaMWppCA0RTdBy_TUJj7obqzOhzT9iIlbUWnZS9ys4/edit?usp=sharing

Anyways happy revising

You’re a star.
for paper 1 what practicals usually come up ?
Reply 78
please could someone explain ultrafiltration and selective reabsorption in the excretion topic! i have never got my head around it and I’m really stressing out!! thank-you
Reply 79
Ur the goat

Original post by DS13990609

Anyways happy revising

Latest

Trending

Trending