The Student Room Group

OCR A A-Level Biology Unified Biology [21st June 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by K_2004sNerd
How is everyone revising for this paper? I'm a bit lost

I’m doing past papers then if i have time i’ll do the blurting method for topics i don’t know well. Also make sure to know the calculations that haven’t come up e.g harry weinberg for biodiversity
Original post by DS13990609
Expecting a link between DNA (module 2) and PCR (module 6)
Maybe Stem cells (module 2) to diabetes treatment (module 5)
Respiration and Photosynthesis
Haven't seen much about ECGs or those P, Q, R S wave diagrams - maybe link that to heart rate practical or adrenaline fight or flight response idk

I'll prepare some topics later, but this is all I can think of

there was a big question in ECGs last year
Original post by Teribblestudent
I made some really stupid mistakes too

Same, I cried so much after realizing my mistakes.
Does any one know how each total marks in each of the papers adds to the final grade?
hey! so i've been doing past papers, and i don't now if its just from the old spec but i have seen a couple of questions about mammal behaviours such as imprinting onto young, conditioning and innate behaviours. does anyone know where this comes up in the spec as i've never revised it or seen it before
Reply 85
is there a google doc with predictions etc like there was for paper 1 and 2
Original post by Elsieviolet
hey! so i've been doing past papers, and i don't now if its just from the old spec but i have seen a couple of questions about mammal behaviours such as imprinting onto young, conditioning and innate behaviours. does anyone know where this comes up in the spec as i've never revised it or seen it before

im not too sure maybe classification?
Reply 87
Original post by secretiveplotter
Does any one know how each total marks in each of the papers adds to the final grade?

I'm pretty sure that they add up your marks and then compare it to the grade boundaries
Reply 88
Original post by secretiveplotter

I don't think they have any particular weighting. They just add up all the marks and then use the grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by Elsieviolet

hey!! this is old spec so we don't need to know - i asked the same question on the Paper 1 forum
Reply 90
Daughters school has not done any unified biology papers at all. So we printed off 2017, 2018 and 2019. So far shes given 2017 and 2018 a go this weekend and from the grade bounderies back then she got a C. She was a couple of marks off a B on both times which is what she needs for first choice at uni.

Both sets of papers had a table of results and from those set of results discuss ways to improve the method of the experiment and also the presentation. So things like put into a graph rather than a table. Having light intesity as a unit of measure as not mentioned in the table. Eliminating / limiting other factors which can affect the experiment. They seemed to be a similar way of thinking between 2017 and 2018's paper, and they were big marker questions too. I think something like this will crop up again.

Another thing we noticed is looking at things as a whole. Like in 2018 paper ''Explain why temperature has a greater effect on the rate of the light-independent stage''
Like we got high temperature, more kinetic energy, but did not think at all about enzymes such is Rubisco having sucessful collisions/denatured. So we are going to go through photosynthese step by step, whats made, what causes it to be made, what can cause the stoppage of it being made.
Reply 91
How likely do you guys think it is that more questions on transport in animals comes up?
Reply 92
Original post by lhq20054
I don't think they have any particular weighting. They just add up all the marks and then use the grade boundaries :smile:

I'm pretty sure paper 1 and two are multiplied by 1.33 but paper 3 is just what it is alone
Original post by Ghostlady
Daughters school has not done any unified biology papers at all. So we printed off 2017, 2018 and 2019. So far shes given 2017 and 2018 a go this weekend and from the grade bounderies back then she got a C. She was a couple of marks off a B on both times which is what she needs for first choice at uni.

Both sets of papers had a table of results and from those set of results discuss ways to improve the method of the experiment and also the presentation. So things like put into a graph rather than a table. Having light intesity as a unit of measure as not mentioned in the table. Eliminating / limiting other factors which can affect the experiment. They seemed to be a similar way of thinking between 2017 and 2018's paper, and they were big marker questions too. I think something like this will crop up again.

Another thing we noticed is looking at things as a whole. Like in 2018 paper ''Explain why temperature has a greater effect on the rate of the light-independent stage''
Like we got high temperature, more kinetic energy, but did not think at all about enzymes such is Rubisco having sucessful collisions/denatured. So we are going to go through photosynthese step by step, whats made, what causes it to be made, what can cause the stoppage of it being made.

same im thinking 6 marker could be an evaluation question based on a graph/data/experiment
Reply 94
Original post by Lizzie3232
How likely do you guys think it is that more questions on transport in animals comes up?

I'm guessing not likely cos they wanna test us on stuff we haven't done yet, maybe it would come up as small marks. a 6 marker would be the biggest violation ever lol
Reply 95
Original post by birds1783
I'm guessing not likely cos they wanna test us on stuff we haven't done yet, maybe it would come up as small marks. a 6 marker would be the biggest violation ever lol

I'd cry lol
Reply 96
Original post by Lizzie3232
I'd cry lol

Idk why, but I have a feeling that there will be a big question on either the functions of the brain, or commercial use of plant hormones
Reply 97
Original post by idk222222222
topics that didn't show up in papers 1 and 2
-cell structure
-biological molecules (there was only experiments)
-nucleotides
-biological membranes
-exchange and transport
-classification and evolution
-animal responses
-PHOTOSYNTHESIS
-RESPIRATION
-cellular control
-pattern inheritance
-evolution
-manipulating genomes

pretty sure cytoskeleton was in paper 1 if i'm not going mad. also isn't cloning part of manipulating genomes? and pretty sure they overdid the exchange and transport with the heart stuff and the transpiration stuff in paper 1. no telling what there's gonna be in paper 3 though ocr are sneaky it seems
Reply 98
Original post by Fire dude
pretty sure cytoskeleton was in paper 1 if i'm not going mad. also isn't cloning part of manipulating genomes? and pretty sure they overdid the exchange and transport with the heart stuff and the transpiration stuff in paper 1. no telling what there's gonna be in paper 3 though ocr are sneaky it seems

Yeah, the question was about synapses and how damage to the xyrokeleton would effect transmission of neurones or something like that
Original post by taldris18
Yeah, the question was about synapses and how damage to the xyrokeleton would effect transmission of neurones or something like that

the 3 marker above it was 3 functions of the cytoskeleton tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending