The Student Room Group

Astrophysics diffraction question

Hi, I've been stumped at this question as I don't really understand the mark scheme..
MicrosoftTeams-image.pngMicrosoftTeams-image (1).pngMicrosoftTeams-image (2).png
part b specifically, I've sketched the diagrams out and used the alternate angle theorem to show A next to d(A), but I have no idea what I can equate to get cosA. It says use trig but I don't know how to link the first situation with the second either.. the only formula for this topic is dsin(theta) = n(lambda)

Any explanations please give in quite simple terms please, thank you :smile:
draw the first image titled like the second image with d and the 2 arrows next to d also tilted. d is the length between the 2 white gaps and this stays constant. therefore d is the hypotenuse. now draw dA underneath the tilted grating as a horizontal line. dA is the horizontal of the right angled triangle.

therefore dA (apparent D as written in the markscheme) = dcosA as adjacent = hypotenuse * cos(x)
Reply 2
It's pure trig, the diffraction formula is not relevant here.

The same grating is used in both diagrams, just turned to a different angle to make the spacing look closer. You'd see the same thing if you looked at the safety fence near a pedestrian crossing from different angles as you rode your bike down the road past one.

In the second diagram is a right angle triangle hiding in plain sight. the hypotenuse is the real spacing of the grating d, the adjacent side is the apparent spacing da.
Reply 3
Original post by user8937264980
draw the first image titled like the second image with d and the 2 arrows next to d also tilted. d is the length between the 2 white gaps and this stays constant. therefore d is the hypotenuse. now draw dA underneath the tilted grating as a horizontal line. dA is the horizontal of the right angled triangle.

therefore dA (apparent D as written in the markscheme) = dcosA as adjacent = hypotenuse * cos(x)

Ohh, I didn't think of doing it that way
Thank you very much that helps a lot :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
It's pure trig, the diffraction formula is not relevant here.

The same grating is used in both diagrams, just turned to a different angle to make the spacing look closer. You'd see the same thing if you looked at the safety fence near a pedestrian crossing from different angles as you rode your bike down the road past one.

In the second diagram is a right angle triangle hiding in plain sight. the hypotenuse is the real spacing of the grating d, the adjacent side is the apparent spacing da.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't think of it that way!

Quick Reply

Latest