The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2 (9PL0 02) 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

politics is not a difficult a level if u enjoy it.
make sure to have many examples and dates under ur sleeve to impress the examiners
have good analysis skills
finally have catchy phrases and a confident style of writing
good luck!
Original post by spam44
Helllooo everyoneee ,
im going y13 this year and im doing politics a level
any tips on how I can get an A* ?

its incredibly hard but you have to have 100% knowledge on examples and content then perfect your essay writing to a T and they grade harshly be careful with your revision near exams as well there is barely room for failure in politcs
Reply 562
Original post by spam44
Helllooo everyoneee ,

The few points previous mentioned:

If you are passionate about this subject, it is easy to score those high grades.

Yeah, they grade so harshly, so one bad move and you lose marks, worse case scenario is you get capped at 12/30, no matter how beautiful your essay is.

Some things I got told by my teacher was to for your 30 mark essays, go for at least 3 examples per paragraph,

Ideologies, you would want 4 key thinkers at a minimum and 1 non-key thinker/example,

You'd probably want to know your comparative theories (if you are doing American politics),

For examples, if you can name drop some of the key figures. e.g, Douglas Cardwell defecting to UKIP, Jeremy Corbyn leading stop the war coalition etc, then that would definitely boost your marks quite a bit. I guess any key concepts as well.

I struggled with judgement before exams (AO3 if i remember correctly), so always make sure you're confident with that.

This year I got an A, almost an A*
Original post by spam44
Helllooo everyoneee ,

Hey!
For the 30 markers:

Make sure you're 100% with the content, and you understand it otherwise you won't be able to score high. I fully understood the content of paper 1&2 by making powerpoints which summarised it, i can send you it if you like? For paper 3(A) I did the US version, I just made notes on it on Word.

Then afterwards I would make loads of plans for past paper questions, from Feb till the exams I tried to do one plan a day. Also my timing wasn't an issue, but if it is for you then I'd also recommend timing yourself writing a 30 marker in the actual timed conditions just so you can gain an idea of what you're able to write/if you struggle with time.

Also, I know most teachers recommend doing 3 paragraphs; you can do 2 really long, detailed ones which will still be good enough to get high marks on. Like i would do only 2 paragraphs but they were really really lengthy, and in Q2A, i got 28/30 this year which shows that if you do struggle with timing/thinking of 3 points, then 2 paras is still good enough.

For the structure, I can send you 30 markers i've done also before so you can see how I structured mine. Always start your paragraph with the stronger argument you are planning to argue with then counterargument. Include judgement throughout.

I would do Point, Explain, Example/Evidence, Elaborate/Link back to how this is relevant to the point&question then I would give a mini judgement as to whether it is a strong or weak point. Then I would do the same for my counter argument. At the end, I'd give an overall verdict of why the first point I started with is stronger than the second point.

I got an A* and scored highly on all questions apart from the core ideologies question, so i wont give u advice on that lol

But for the optional ideologies, I did feminism and just really enjoyed it, hence high marks so i cant really give you advice either on that.

Hope this helps ! (:
Original post by spam44
Helllooo everyoneee ,

Point, link, examples, elaboration (link), counter-point, link, examples, elaboration, interim conclusion for 30 markers is a life-saving structure to get into your head.
I did a scarily underwhelming amount of revision and somehow mustered up a middle A*. A good amount of my examples were inaccurate waffle and at least two of my answers (one 30 marker, one 12 marker) were majorly unfinished. Basically just get as many examples in as possible, link them to the question, and hope for the best. Also I wouldn't worry too much about revising examples for the ideologies questions (although do so if you can be bothered to), just waffle about random stuff and make sure it links to the question.
As long as you practise the exam technique (which just comes out as persistently reminding yourself to be linking everything to the question really) and cram a load of examples into your noggin you'll probably be fine.
Hi does anyone know how I can request my scripts back from the exam board? I know some people where able to get theirs through their teachers but I can not get in touch with them atm.
Reply 566
hello politics students ,

jsut a quick question ,my teacher was missing when we studied electoral systems so we had to study them on our own so im not totally secured in it yet , im going over FPTP disadvantages and one of the bullet points says "most members of parliament are elected with less than 50% of the total votes cast in their constituencies" but I dont understand how or why
if you guys could give me more disadvantages that I can learn I would really appreciate it

THANK YOU < 3
Reply 567
Original post by bebe1108
Hi!

Made this forum for the 2023 Edexcel Politics Paper 2 - how are people feeling? :h:

@Evil Homer @Pwca

What was the 2 30 markers for paper 2 politics edexcel???
Original post by je1819

If u wanna know this for mocks don’t cheat it’s not worth it a blind paper is the best practice
Reply 569
Hi!

Made this forum for the 2023 Edexcel Politics Paper 2 - how are people feeling? :h:

@Evil Homer @Pwca

Can anyone quickly tell me what was the questions in Edexcel Politics Paper 2 for 2023
Original post by ultimatequeen
Hey!
For the 30 markers:

Make sure you're 100% with the content, and you understand it otherwise you won't be able to score high. I fully understood the content of paper 1&2 by making powerpoints which summarised it, i can send you it if you like? For paper 3(A) I did the US version, I just made notes on it on Word.

Then afterwards I would make loads of plans for past paper questions, from Feb till the exams I tried to do one plan a day. Also my timing wasn't an issue, but if it is for you then I'd also recommend timing yourself writing a 30 marker in the actual timed conditions just so you can gain an idea of what you're able to write/if you struggle with time.

Also, I know most teachers recommend doing 3 paragraphs; you can do 2 really long, detailed ones which will still be good enough to get high marks on. Like i would do only 2 paragraphs but they were really really lengthy, and in Q2A, i got 28/30 this year which shows that if you do struggle with timing/thinking of 3 points, then 2 paras is still good enough.

For the structure, I can send you 30 markers i've done also before so you can see how I structured mine. Always start your paragraph with the stronger argument you are planning to argue with then counterargument. Include judgement throughout.

I would do Point, Explain, Example/Evidence, Elaborate/Link back to how this is relevant to the point&question then I would give a mini judgement as to whether it is a strong or weak point. Then I would do the same for my counter argument. At the end, I'd give an overall verdict of why the first point I started with is stronger than the second point.

I got an A* and scored highly on all questions apart from the core ideologies question, so i wont give u advice on that lol

But for the optional ideologies, I did feminism and just really enjoyed it, hence high marks so i cant really give you advice either on that.

Hope this helps ! (:

Hi I know this is a long shot but I have just seen this advice of yours and wondered if there was any way you could send me the PowerPoint summaries you made? I’ve been having to make summaries myself of content as our teacher is useless so any help would be a godsend!
Reply 571
Hi!

@Evil Homer @Pwca

What were the questions for the 2023 Edexcel A level politics paper 2? Would help a lot for revision!
Reply 572
Original post by Jonnas
Can anyone quickly tell me what was the questions in Edexcel Politics Paper 2 for 2023

Did u find out?
Reply 573
Original post by je1819

Did u end up finding out?
Original post by sceda
Did u find out?

hahah we are all cooked for mocks, from what ive seen i think the questions are along the lines of:

'How far do you agree that the UK's membership of the European Union has had a considerable impact on the UK political system?'

one on has Brexit undermined sovereignty

'Evaluate the view that passing legislation is the most important function of parliament

and one on the prime minister is too powerful
Reply 575
Original post by TheoIngram_
hahah we are all cooked for mocks, from what ive seen i think the questions are along the lines of:

'How far do you agree that the UK's membership of the European Union has had a considerable impact on the UK political system?'

one on has Brexit undermined sovereignty

'Evaluate the view that passing legislation is the most important function of parliament

and one on the prime minister is too powerful

Cheers mate aha, my paper 1 mock was the one from 2023. ibr im so cooked idrc at this point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending