The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2 (9PL0 02) 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user123456324
Yes but there are better examples of strong control over cabinets for extended periods such as Margaret Thatcher where she has been described as having a presidential style of leadership and has had a lot of examples of dominating her cabinet. Compared to Truss who had a good grip on her cabinet for 3/4 of her tenure. Yes Truss relied on Hunt but it wasn't to the point where she didn't hold power over him where maybe a better example could be Gordon Brown and Blair in a power struggle nearer the end of Blairs tenure where Brown as you know eventually became the next Labour PM

I do understand the points you are making, but it still proves to be as good of an example as the ones you have mentioned. Even with Hunt, it can be seen how her reliance on him economically can be seen as a lack of dominance over the cabinet it is like the last days of Thatcher's priemership, with the likes of Howe being critical and to some extent going against Thatcher.
Reply 61
on the spec it is under

The powers of the Prime Minster and the Cabinet to dictate events and determine policy.
Students must study the influence of one Prime Minister from 1945 to 1997 and one post-1997 Prime Minister.
Students may choose any pre-1997 and any post-1997 Prime Minister, provided that they study them in an equivalent level of detail, covering both events and policy, with examples that illustrate both control and a lack of control.

So you need to have a good understanding of examples of a really powerful PM who control their Cabinets agenda and political will and examples of PMs who have been dominated by their cabinet and are at the will of them

Ah cool. Just curious abt the level of detail really. I've written cabinet essays in the past and I just don't see why you would limit yourself to just 2 pms. But ofc it depends, could get a question asking you to compare pre 97 and post 97 pms power hypothetically so it makes sense
Yes but there are better examples of strong control over cabinets for extended periods such as Margaret Thatcher where she has been described as having a presidential style of leadership and has had a lot of examples of dominating her cabinet. Compared to Truss who had a good grip on her cabinet for 3/4 of her tenure. Yes Truss relied on Hunt but it wasn't to the point where she didn't hold power over him where maybe a better example could be Gordon Brown and Blair in a power struggle nearer the end of Blairs tenure where Brown as you know eventually became the next Labour PM

I think the one area it does show a good example for is how a cabinet can be crafted to ensure greater dominance.
Original post by ALMO42
Ah cool. Just curious abt the level of detail really. I've written cabinet essays in the past and I just don't see why you would limit yourself to just 2 pms. But ofc it depends, could get a question asking you to compare pre 97 and post 97 pms power hypothetically so it makes sense

well in October 2020 this question was asked 'Evaluate the view that since 2010 the Uk has returned to a cabinet government' which is quite narrow so they could ask a question like this so its good to have knowledge of a few different PMs
Reply 64
well in October 2020 this question was asked 'Evaluate the view that since 2010 the Uk has returned to a cabinet government' which is quite narrow so they could ask a question like this so its good to have knowledge of a few different PMs

Yeah deffo. I think that question was particularly aimed at breaking down how the coalition and May's confidence & supply gov affected pm-cabinet dynamics so they're fairly unique in that way
Reply 65
(Off-topic) - do ppl think that imr/cmr and supreme court operating principles (independence/neutrality) realistically won't come up again this year?
im rlly hesitant with predicting stuff like this. The last paper a lot of the content that came up was stuff not on the advanced information last year however that does not necessarily mean that it will be similar for paper 2 and repeat questions are always a possibility so I wouldn't ignore any part of the syllabus although these things should be unlikely I would never rule them out
Original post by ALMO42
(Off-topic) - do ppl think that imr/cmr and supreme court operating principles (independence/neutrality) realistically won't come up again this year?
Original post by ALMO42
'To what extent do feminists agree that the personal is political?' has never explicitly come up.

Thank you, do u have any more questions similar to that?

If you dont no worries
Reply 68
Original post by Keenbean29
Which two PM case studies are best to use? I currently have Thatcher and May but I’m thinking maybe Boris or even Truss would be better idk

I would say not to rely on 'case studies' as such, instead have a range of evidence from all the PMs since 1979 (not necessarily immense detail, but enough to prove points). If short on time, I would say focus on Blair and Johnson, if you know Thatcher and May well. I use pretty much all the Pms but these are the ones I know in proper detail. For Truss all you really have to know is her mini-budget, but I think Johnson is a great one to know for a question on PM power, considering his role in Covid, Ukraine, the economic crisis, and even things like party gate can be relevant.
Reply 69
Original post by crackedscale
Thank you, do u have any more questions similar to that?

If you dont no worries

All of the four big areas (Human nature, Society, State, and Economy) have already come up in pretty broad questions. I have noticed generally that edexcel do one broad question and one more niche question, and considering patriarchy has already come up (twice), the 'personal is political' or legal equality vs social equality seems like the likely option for the niche question. As for the broader question, I imagine they will repurpose one of the previous 'major 4' questions with a slightly different emphasis, or maybe ask you to compare two strands directly (liberal and radical is most likely in this case).
Reply 70
Original post by leheam
How likely is it that the questions will all be on different areas of component 2, as for paper 1 non of the questions really overlapped topics and I'm wondering if they've ever done that before or if they're specifically being nice for our year. But I'm aware that the paper 2 topics are more interlinked so idrk any ideas?

In the relationships between the branches topic there is massive overlap between the three institutions of government. Any question could therefore have two or even three government institutions being asked at once, usually how they influence each other in some way. Constitution is a fairly stand alone topic at the beginning but some of the questions regarding further reforms require knowledge of the other chapters to be really fleshed out. The other two topics - parliament and executive - are also in some ways overlapping just due to the nature of our political system. So I think the likelihood of overlap is increased on paper 2 compared to paper 1.
hiya! anyone doing anarchism as a non core ideology? any possible exam question that can be passed on? :smile:

Could a Constitution Q come up as a Source than an essay?
Reply 72
Does anyone have any idea on how to answer this question- Evaluate the view that exiting the EU has had the greatest impact on the relationship between the executive and legislative branches since 2010?
What sort of EU questions could we get?

I'm trying to think of any questions that could come up but all of the ones i can think of just don't seem like they could have any strong counterpoints
Original post by str20s
Does anyone have any idea on how to answer this question- Evaluate the view that exiting the EU has had the greatest impact on the relationship between the executive and legislative branches since 2010?

Para 1 - Greatest impact due to parliamentary votes / Supreme Court Rulings
Para 2 - However, other developments such as Fixed term parliament act had a greater impact(until 2022)
Para 3 - Greater impact due to the constitutional questions about executive powers such as Royal Prerogative powers
Para 4 - Austerity measures i.e. budgets / policy making
Para 5 - Greater impact due to the shift in decision making powers => no longer ruled by eu over specific policy areas
Para 6: shifts in party control => coalition governments compared to majority governments

Idk how good those points would be, that question is v difficult but thats probs the route i'd take, let me know if it makes sense or not because i dont want my plan to be wrong either lol
Reply 75
Original post by crackedscale
Para 1 - Greatest impact due to parliamentary votes / Supreme Court Rulings
Para 2 - However, other developments such as Fixed term parliament act had a greater impact(until 2022)
Para 3 - Greater impact due to the constitutional questions about executive powers such as Royal Prerogative powers
Para 4 - Austerity measures i.e. budgets / policy making
Para 5 - Greater impact due to the shift in decision making powers => no longer ruled by eu over specific policy areas
Para 6: shifts in party control => coalition governments compared to majority governments

Idk how good those points would be, that question is v difficult but thats probs the route i'd take, let me know if it makes sense or not because i dont want my plan to be wrong either lol

Thank you so much I really appreciate this!!!! :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by katie.watsonn
‘Evaluate the impact the EU has had on the UK.”
i don’t know though that might be too broad

i feel like that would be so hard though because you can't really come to an overall judgement as the impacts are not clear from whether it was from covid, brexit and it also have not been too long, not sure though! My teacher completely missed it out when teaching it last year so i have had to learn it very recently
Just revising the development of the constitution eg the magna carta, bill of rights ect but realistically how would they ask you a 30 marker on any of this stuff? is it worth skipping
Original post by ellar1234567
Just revising the development of the constitution eg the magna carta, bill of rights ect but realistically how would they ask you a 30 marker on any of this stuff? is it worth skipping

I think that is just a little background knowledge to show our constitution is uncodified - any question on constitution would more likely look at if it needs reform or if reforms so far have been adequate.
Original post by randomaccount23
I think that is just a little background knowledge to show our constitution is uncodified - any question on constitution would more likely look at if it needs reform or if reforms so far have been adequate.

okay thankyou so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending