The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2 (9PL0 02) 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
anyone wanna trade essay plans. i have a few US ones and a lot for paper 2 (i do nationalism) however i am in dire need for more paper 3 plans
Reply 81
hey guys does anyone know if you are capped if you do not do a conclusion? for my paper 1 i didnt manage to do a conclusion for two of my essays bcs i ran out of time and im very stressed outtttt
It really depends on if you kept making mini judgements at the end of each of your paragraphs because if not you could quite possibly be capped to level 2
Original post by karc1738
hey guys does anyone know if you are capped if you do not do a conclusion? for my paper 1 i didnt manage to do a conclusion for two of my essays bcs i ran out of time and im very stressed outtttt
hey guys im really struggling to find accurate up-to-date information on the impact of the Brexit on parliamentary sovereignty, just all of theme 4.3

can anyone give me somewhere to use for this knowledge? I worry that the question "evaluate the view that since leaving the EU, parliament is more sovereign" will come up so if anyone has any ideas on how to structure this / a vague essay plan, that would be amazing thank you
Impact of the EU on the UK’s political system and policy-making

Profile of the PM has been heightened, as they attend European Council meetings. Cameron was very visible in renegotiating the terms of UK EU membership
The foreign secretary also attends European Council, and Council of the EU meetings, raising their profile. Other ministers responsible for policy affected by the EU are also involved in negotiations with their counterparts. Mostly ministers rely on the work of the civil servants working for the EU (COREPER)
A committee on European affairs has been set up for cabinet members to develop UK policy towards the EU, coordinating the work of government departments
Parliament must examine EU laws, and proposed legislation from the EU must be reviewed by the Commons European Scrutiny Committee, although the amount of EU legislation makes this difficult to perform effectively
Some policy areas affected by the EU are now devolved to regional institutions. The UK Parliament therefore consults with devolved governments in policy-making in these areas
The above relationship is set to change due to Brexit. Negotiations will take place over the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, and there have been divisions amongst ministers and MPs as to what those terms should be. Eurosceptics favour a ‘hard Brexit’, which would see the UK give up full access to the single market and customs union (meaning tariffs would be introduced when trading with other countries), and have complete control over its borders. Others favour a ‘soft Brexit’, where the UK would give up its seats and MEPs on EU institutions, but retain access to the single market, meaning that the ‘four freedoms’ would have to be retained.
The issue of Scottish independence has been raised again by the Brexit vote, as the majority of Scotland voted to remain in the EU. The SNP has sad that Scotland should not be taken out of the EU against the wishes of its people, and that the only way for Scotland to have EU access is for it to become an independent country. However, calls for ‘indyref2’ were weakened by the decline in SNP support in the __2017 __general election.
The EU has power over some policy areas, but not others. For example, trade, the single market, social and employment, agriculture and fisheries, and environmental policy is the preserve of the EU, or at least the EU negotiating with member states. Areas such as defence, taxation, healthcare and education remain the exclusive preserve of the UK.
Original post by 1843yeahyeahyeah
hey guys im really struggling to find accurate up-to-date information on the impact of the Brexit on parliamentary sovereignty, just all of theme 4.3

can anyone give me somewhere to use for this knowledge? I worry that the question "evaluate the view that since leaving the EU, parliament is more sovereign" will come up so if anyone has any ideas on how to structure this / a vague essay plan, that would be amazing thank you
Reply 85
Original post by 1843yeahyeahyeah

i would structure it saying that the uk isn't more sovereign. my first paragraph on the EU would say how parliament is more sovereign now we've left due to parliamentary statue now being reaffirmed as the highest laws in the land however counter saying that a lot of EU law isn't getting scrapped (my school doesn't focus on the EU but im sure you could beef out that para). then i would say however on the other hand leaving the EU hasn't solved some significant issued facing parliamentary sovereignty such as devolution, judiciary, executive dictatorship or referendums. out of these id probable do devolution and the executives power but you can chose.
Original post by str20s
Thank you so much I really appreciate this!!!! :smile:

You could also talk about devolution too i think, not rlly sure tho
Reply 87
could there be a possibility that they ask about the impact of eu in terms of the constitution, policy making and powers of even the executive (article 50)?

if anyone got good predictions would be helpful!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 88
does anyone else do feminism for non core ideology?
Reply 89
Original post by sglelfe
does anyone else do feminism for non core ideology?

Yeah I do, what are your predictions for the feminism questions
Reply 90
Does anyone think there could be a question on something to do with cabinet government? Perhaps their influence over the PM?
Reply 91
Original post by 3222227
Does anyone think there could be a question on something to do with cabinet government? Perhaps their influence over the PM?

Yeah, I think there's gonna be a Q on some kind of powers of the PM or the relationship between cabinet and PM, maybe presidentialism?
Reply 92
Does anyone else do anarchism?
Reply 93
Original post by inahuff
Does anyone else do anarchism?

I do, have you got any predictions? :smile:
Original post by beccacrw
I do, have you got any predictions? :smile:

me as well ^^ any predictions would be great? Has an economy Q come up yet?
Reply 95
Original post by aspiringlawyerAL
me as well ^^ any predictions would be great? Has an economy Q come up yet?

Yeah it came up in 2019: 'To what extent does anarchism have a coherent view on the economy'
hi can anyone think of an example where the government ignored select committees reports by not taking up any recommendations ?? thank youuuu
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 97
Original post by cabbage3232
hi can anyone think of an example where the government ignore the select committees reports?? thank youuuu

not what you're asking but i know boris ignored the liaison committee's calls to question him as he was busy "delivering brexit" & that only an estimated 40% of select committee recommendations are accepted/implemented, but i don't have any specific examples of them ignoring the actual reports.
this still helped a lot thank you!!!

Original post by skybright
not what you're asking but i know boris ignored the liaison committee's calls to question him as he was busy "delivering brexit" & that only an estimated 40% of select committee recommendations are accepted/implemented, but i don't have any specific examples of them ignoring the actual reports.
Reply 99
aw thank you, i'm glad! select committees & sovereignty are maybe the only things i'm confident about for p2 haha
Original post by cabbage3232
this still helped a lot thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending