The Student Room Group

Feeling stagnant

I'm going off to uni in September to study fine art but I'm feeling a little like I haven't done as much as I want. I love academic subjects as much as I do art and only being able to do art is leaving feeling a little unfufilled. I want to use my brain in other ways too and learn other things. In short my question is does anyone have any suggestions of how I can achieve this (free recourses, extra uni courses) so I can be doing more than one thing?
Original post by X.katieh
I'm going off to uni in September to study fine art but I'm feeling a little like I haven't done as much as I want. I love academic subjects as much as I do art and only being able to do art is leaving feeling a little unfufilled. I want to use my brain in other ways too and learn other things. In short my question is does anyone have any suggestions of how I can achieve this (free recourses, extra uni courses) so I can be doing more than one thing?

I felt very similar you you last year!

I'm currently studying my art foundation and my practice is heavily informed by research. Spending more time writing about my themes than actually making the art 🤣. My point is, an art degree could be very academic if you wanted it to be. My work looks at environmentalism and I find my course a freer form of academic exploration than I might get in an actual ecology degree.

Art gives you the power to study whatever you want and your "syllabus" can take any direction! Pulling all this insporation back into your practice :smile:

I know not all art schools work in the same way, but that's my experience.

_______
Sidenote: Have you considered a degree that's both artistic and Academic (not that they have to be polar opposites of course haha). For example next year I'm doing "The BMC Degree" (Art, Ecology, systems change) perhaps there's something similar in your chosen field?

Hope that helped a little even if it wasn't quite what your looking for. Open learn also do good mini courses in the UK - you get a certificate at the end :smile:

Lifelong learning :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Ja7
I felt very similar you you last year!

I'm currently studying my art foundation and my practice is heavily informed by research. Spending more time writing about my themes than actually making the art 🤣. My point is, an art degree could be very academic if you wanted it to be. My work looks at environmentalism and I find my course a freer form of academic exploration than I might get in an actual ecology degree.

Art gives you the power to study whatever you want and your "syllabus" can take any direction! Pulling all this insporation back into your practice :smile:

I know not all art schools work in the same way, but that's my experience.

_______
Sidenote: Have you considered a degree that's both artistic and Academic (not that they have to be polar opposites of course haha). For example next year I'm doing "The BMC Degree" (Art, Ecology, systems change) perhaps there's something similar in your chosen field?

Hope that helped a little even if it wasn't quite what your looking for. Open learn also do good mini courses in the UK - you get a certificate at the end :smile:

Lifelong learning :biggrin:

thank you so much!! This is very helpful !! :smile:
Reply 3
That's great to hear that you're going off to study fine art at university! It's completely normal to have a desire to explore other subjects and expand your knowledge beyond your chosen field. Fortunately, there are various ways you can achieve this and engage in multiple areas of interest. For example, you can engage in online communities or forums related to your other interests; join clubs focused on topics such as literature, science, history, or philosophy; and use websites such as Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy to pursue subjects of interest alongside your fine art studies. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest