The Student Room Group

transition metal question!!! help!

doing past papers and this one from OCR A a-level paper 1 2019 just stumped me.

Which property/properties is/are correct for a transition element?
1 The element has atoms with a partially filled d sub-shell.
2 The existence of more than one oxidation state in its compounds.
3 The formation of coloured ions.

mark scheme (multiple choice) says that only 2 and 3 are correct. now i feel like i'm going crazy bc i was pretty sure 1 is correct - transition metals all have partially filled d sub-shells? have i missed something pivotal or completely misread the question? (panicked noises)
Reply 1
Original post by basilpl4nt
doing past papers and this one from OCR A a-level paper 1 2019 just stumped me.

Which property/properties is/are correct for a transition element?
1 The element has atoms with a partially filled d sub-shell.
2 The existence of more than one oxidation state in its compounds.
3 The formation of coloured ions.

mark scheme (multiple choice) says that only 2 and 3 are correct. now i feel like i'm going crazy bc i was pretty sure 1 is correct - transition metals all have partially filled d sub-shells? have i missed something pivotal or completely misread the question? (panicked noises)

The word to pay attention to here is "atoms" a transition metal is one which forms one or more stable ions which have incompletely filled d orbitals. (Chemguide: https://chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/features.html)
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
The word to pay attention to here is "atoms" a transition metal is one which forms one or more stable ions which have incompletely filled d orbitals. (Chemguide: https://chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/features.html)

ok. i thought it would be a kind of all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares type deal, i.e. all transition atoms have partially filled d but not all partially filled d are transition metals, like Sc. but i think this is another case of me needing to really get my definitions in gear lol. thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest